Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a .308 AR ?

Feedback Score

Recommendations for a .308 AR ?

I'd like to get my hands on one but from what I've read most aren't dependable. Anyone here have hands on experience with one? Thanks in Advance!
    X-Military
    Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    My hands on experience with the ArmaLite AR-10's has been mostly good. I had one carbine that didn't run quite right back in 1999, I think. I sent it back to ArmaLite and 3 weeks later it was perfect.

Since then I've probably owned and shot 10 uppers and lowers in some sort of configuration. I usually build the uppers now from parts, so the QC is higher than possible in any factory.

I think one of the other mods recently got an AR-10 carbine and has said he was happy with it.

I love mine, and wouldn't change anythng I've done with them.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    +1 Armalite/Noveske

Feedback Score
    I've got like 15k through my DPMS LR-308 and it's just bad ass. JP trigger and my own lightened carrier.

Look at the JP Enterprises' 308's as well as the DPMS LR's. You won't be disappointed.

Rich

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not an AR, but as a 7.62 NATO battle rifle, the FN FAL is hard to beat... Look for a nice Springfield SAR-48, they can be found for around 1K and are one of the best rifles ever made...

Just my .02

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The FAL is the greatest of the .308 battle rifles yes, but for a .308 AR I've heard nothing but good about the DPMS Lr308's.

Feedback Score
    I recently got a POF P-308. I really like the rifle, but have only had it a few weeks and have only put 200 or so rounds through it so I can't say yet if it will be a reliable gun.

So far, it's very accurate at the short distances I've shot it and has had no malfunctions.

It's really easy to clean as well. It's expensive though and quality with POF's seems like it can be spotty.

HTH,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mashed68 View Post
    The FAL is the greatest of the .308 battle rifles yes, but for a .308 AR I've heard nothing but good about the DPMS Lr308's.
    First let me say "Welcome aboard!"

Second, let me ask you to please take some time to familiarize yourself with our intended goals and objectives of this website. Qualified, firsthand information is absolutely king...

If you have some way to expand on your thoughts above, giving us some context of your use of either the DPMS LR-308 or FAL, we would all appreciate it.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    My statistical sampling with the AR10's was relatively small, but between a factory DPMS and factory Armalite, I'd be far more confident in a professional non-factory build of either.

I'm building up an ultra-lightweight DPMS 308 right now (mags are a bit more available these days). But I'm probably going to grab an AR10 receiver within the next month or so. I asked one of the more well known AR smiths his opinion on the DPMS vs Armalite quality, he didn't feel there was a demonstrable difference when he got his hands on them.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mario View Post
    I'd like to get my hands on one but from what I've read most aren't dependable. Anyone here have hands on experience with one? Thanks in Advance!
    IMHO they are not dependable enough as a fighting gun. Why we still use them as such (KAC SR25) is a mystery to me. The best AR platform for reliability and durability is still the MK12 SPRish AR with 77gr. MK262.

I thought the 6.8 might have been the cartridge to bridge the gap but "reports from Crane" indicate bizarre parts breakage at relatively low (in relation to 5.56) round counts. I would like to see someone perform independent test on the 6.8 SPC-in relation to durability.

The AR10's can be made very accurate and are fine for range or bench shooting, if that is what you want. If you want something "Tactical" beyond a MK12 or clone in 5.56 then the best alternative is still a quality bolt action rifle with good glass in 7.62NATO/.300WM/.338Lapua/.338Norma etc.
    Last edited by Rana; 10-14-08 at 10:35. Reason: Grammar

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast