Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a .308 AR ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    I thought the 6.8 might have been the cartridge to bridge the gap but "reports from Crane" indicate bizarre parts breakage at relatively low (in relation to 5.56) round counts. I would like to see someone perform independent test on the 6.8 SPC-in relation to durability.
    Rana,

Just kinda curious, but what "reports from Crane" are you talking about? I really don't know who/what Crane is. Sorry for the ignorance, but I am about to get into the 6.8 and am very interested in any and all information about this round. Is this a 'military report' or something similar? Is it public? Can you provide a link to that report?

I really like what I have read on this round. I think with the right bullet/powder and correct barrel twist/chamber, this round could possibly be a very positive asset to our forces. There has been a lot of testing going on over at 68forums.com and they have gotten some very impressive results with this cartridge. That said, they are a group of civilians doing this on their own dime and I would really like to see the government take a serious look at this round for further development. I would really like the government to also not brush aside what others have done with the development of this cartridge with regards to barrel twist/chamber configurations. The original SAAMI specs were unfortunately turned in by Remington without the suggestions from the original designers!!! The specs Remington gave makes the chambers very much like the 223 vs 5.56 in that they are very tight and way too short leade. Also, the barrel twists (shown as optional in the SAAMI specs) used by manufactures in most of todays are from left over 270 Winchester specs of 1:10. The use of shorter/lighter bullets in the 6.8 beg to have a slower twist of minimum 1:11 to 1:12...

Like I said, there has been a lot of cartridge development over the last few years that the original specs of this round by the original developers have been shown to be good or even exceeded!!!

Thanks,

Kelly (Cohibra45)

Sorry for the hijack!!! Now back to our previous program...
    Last edited by Cohibra45; 10-14-08 at 13:56. Reason: appologize for hijacking this thread!!!

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Thanks David!!! I would be really interested in what parts broke???

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My DPMS LR-308 is setup as a target rifle and performs well. I only have about 150 rounds through it and keep it meticulously clean.

It is accurate but very tight.

Feedback Score
    I have a DPMS LR .308 (Tac 20) and have 400 down the pipe with absolutely no problems, even with various types and brands of ammo.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    My DPMS LR-308, freaked out by yours truly has about 15k (as stated above) with zero issues. Shoots well under a minute with zero worries.

For a "battle" rifle, over a bolt action, a ton of my snipers in Afghanistan are still using M14's with no problems.

Rich

Feedback Score
    I have plenty of trigger time with an M-14 and they're fine rifles but they seem low tech nowadays and I want something lighter
    X-Military
    Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mario View Post
    I have plenty of trigger time with an M-14 and they're fine rifles but they seem low tech nowadays and I want something lighter
    .308 AR's aren't on the "light" side.

For recreational shooting a plain jane Armalite AR10 is not a bad choice for the money.

Feedback Score
    Then you definitely want to go LR-308. There are some "tricks" to lighten them up a bit. Mine's only like 1-1.5# heavier than my 18" AR.

Rich

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    IMHO they are not dependable enough as a fighting gun. Why we still use them as such (KAC SR25) is a mystery to me. The best AR platform for reliability and durability is still the MK12 SPRish AR with 77gr. MK262.

I thought the 6.8 might have been the cartridge to bridge the gap but "reports from Crane" indicate bizarre parts breakage at relatively low (in relation to 5.56) round counts. I would like to see someone perform independent test on the 6.8 SPC-in relation to durability.

The AR10's can be made very accurate and are fine for range or bench shooting, if that is what you want. If you want something "Tactical" beyond a MK12 or clone in 5.56 then the best alternative is still a quality bolt action rifle with good glass in 7.62NATO/.300WM/.338Lapua/.338Norma etc.

The SR25 worked well enough for my brother.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast