Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: What axe are you folks using?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    Fiskars. They are so good that I have several, but the 23.5 size is probably the one that sees most use.
    Fiskars has certainly streamlined my wood cutting chores. I have split three cords with it so far this year and I'm 73. Someone on another site recommended the 27 inch model and I followed his recommendation even though I am not tall. That added leverage really makes a difference.

Feedback Score
    Husqvarna 26" Classic. It gets the job done and I'm about the long handle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My axe:
    - Silky pocketboy (7.8oz)
    - ESEE Junglas (19.6oz)

Combined, 1.7lb. The saw folds into the little case for an easy lightweight carry in your pack, and it cuts through limbs up to nearly 6" diameter like a hot knife thru butter. I also have the slightly larger Silky Gomboy saw, about a 9" blade, that I use around the property for limbing, it's an amazing saw and some like that for their backpacking saw but I never need to process wood that large since I usually go it alone. Anybody who hasn't tried a Silky and loves fine-crafted tools and sharp steel, you've gotta try these saws, you'll never want to use a Gerber or Bahco or whatever again. The Junglas gives me chopping, limbing, splitting, brush clearing (limited machete functionality, but in my AO it's good enough and spares bringing another tool), plus it handles regular knife tasks. I've used the larger 10" Junglas for years, then they just came out with this slightly smaller 8", I like the form factor even better, it's a little more carry-able and manageable even though it gives up a little bit of the heft when chopping compared to its big brother. This along with a folder or a small fixed blade, is the 'sharps' kit that I take backpacking. I won't take axes on solo trips anymore for safety reasons, plus this is lighter and handles more tasks that I do.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112