Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What axe are you folks using?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

What axe are you folks using?

Good discussion on knives in another thread and it made me wonder about what axe - brand, type, you folks are using. I like the Gransfors Bruk axes but I also like the Hudson Bay pattern type. I was looking to get a Snow and Nealley version of this axe when I went over to Smoky Mountain Knife Works and saw the Council Tools Hudson Bay. I picked up the 2 pound head with 26 inch handle and heavy leather sheath for about 50 bucks. So far I have been enjoying this axe. Being made in the USA is good too!
    Last edited by tog; 12-22-17 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    Fiskars. They are so good that I have several, but the 23.5” size is probably the one that sees most use.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I use an old Kelly Redwing fitted with a fiberglass handle for felling as the head is relatively thin and of high quality. I have also used some smaller axes and hatchets from Gransfors and Wetterlings. These are the best buy for a new axe, in my opinion. I recently broke two Council tool axes in a row bucking a 12” spruce- handle separation and the bits were not centered in line with poll, either. The domestic axe market is not what is was, unfortunately. Stihl sells a line made by Oxhead from Germany. Their splitter is the best I’ve used and well made (I split about 5-6 cord a year). A friend brought one of their smaller hatchets to elk camp and it also performed well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    Fiskars. They are so good that I have several, but the 23.5” size is probably the one that sees most use.
    I'm a convert. I have a huge collection of various wood handled "traditional" axes and I'm slowly converting to just using Fiskars. I'm a Stihl chainsaw dealer and have every single model of their axes and hatchets they have produced in the last five years. The Fiskars collection performs right with them at a significantly lower cost. As for splitting wood, I have ditched all my Stihl splitters for Fiskars splitting axes as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm a convert. I have a huge collection of various wood handled "traditional" axes and I'm slowly converting to just using Fiskars. I'm a Stihl chainsaw dealer and have every single model of their axes and hatchets they have produced in the last five years. The Fiskars collection performs right with them at a significantly lower cost. As for splitting wood, I have ditched all my Stihl splitters for Fiskars splitting axes as well.
    I agree.

We use our field tools hard. I make bolos and parangs and whatnot, and have lots of traditional cutting tools. The Fiskars splitting "maul" is tops. Does double duty as a felling axe and actually is superior to the axe as the one I gave my son actually took material under the plastic surrounding the head. I dug it out of the scrap pile for the pic. I reckon I'll use it for a hot chisel at the forge if the plastic handle doesn't melt.

I accept with sincere belief the doctrine of faith as handed down to us from the Apostles by the orthodox Fathers, always in the same sense and with the same interpretation.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    Fiskars has certainly streamlined my wood cutting chores. I have split three cords with it so far this year and I'm 73. Someone on another site recommended the 27 inch model and I followed his recommendation even though I am not tall. That added leverage really makes a difference.

Feedback Score
    Husqvarna 26" Classic. It gets the job done and I'm about the long handle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My axe:
    - Silky pocketboy (7.8oz)
    - ESEE Junglas (19.6oz)

Combined, 1.7lb. The saw folds into the little case for an easy lightweight carry in your pack, and it cuts through limbs up to nearly 6" diameter like a hot knife thru butter. I also have the slightly larger Silky Gomboy saw, about a 9" blade, that I use around the property for limbing, it's an amazing saw and some like that for their backpacking saw but I never need to process wood that large since I usually go it alone. Anybody who hasn't tried a Silky and loves fine-crafted tools and sharp steel, you've gotta try these saws, you'll never want to use a Gerber or Bahco or whatever again. The Junglas gives me chopping, limbing, splitting, brush clearing (limited machete functionality, but in my AO it's good enough and spares bringing another tool), plus it handles regular knife tasks. I've used the larger 10" Junglas for years, then they just came out with this slightly smaller 8", I like the form factor even better, it's a little more carry-able and manageable even though it gives up a little bit of the heft when chopping compared to its big brother. This along with a folder or a small fixed blade, is the 'sharps' kit that I take backpacking. I won't take axes on solo trips anymore for safety reasons, plus this is lighter and handles more tasks that I do.

Feedback Score
    I picked up a kelly red warrior at the flea market last year for 20 bucks. In my youth the Stihl saws were always the best for hard use. Do they still have that good reputation?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I use a Gransfor Bruks small Forrest axe. Not too big or heavy. Great edge, cuts well for camping/hiking needs.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast