Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What axe are you folks using?

Feedback Score

What axe are you folks using?

Good discussion on knives in another thread and it made me wonder about what axe - brand, type, you folks are using. I like the Gransfors Bruk axes but I also like the Hudson Bay pattern type. I was looking to get a Snow and Nealley version of this axe when I went over to Smoky Mountain Knife Works and saw the Council Tools Hudson Bay. I picked up the 2 pound head with 26 inch handle and heavy leather sheath for about 50 bucks. So far I have been enjoying this axe. Being made in the USA is good too!
    Last edited by tog; 12-22-17 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    Fiskars. They are so good that I have several, but the 23.5” size is probably the one that sees most use.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I use an old Kelly Redwing fitted with a fiberglass handle for felling as the head is relatively thin and of high quality. I have also used some smaller axes and hatchets from Gransfors and Wetterlings. These are the best buy for a new axe, in my opinion. I recently broke two Council tool axes in a row bucking a 12” spruce- handle separation and the bits were not centered in line with poll, either. The domestic axe market is not what is was, unfortunately. Stihl sells a line made by Oxhead from Germany. Their splitter is the best I’ve used and well made (I split about 5-6 cord a year). A friend brought one of their smaller hatchets to elk camp and it also performed well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    Fiskars. They are so good that I have several, but the 23.5” size is probably the one that sees most use.
    I'm a convert. I have a huge collection of various wood handled "traditional" axes and I'm slowly converting to just using Fiskars. I'm a Stihl chainsaw dealer and have every single model of their axes and hatchets they have produced in the last five years. The Fiskars collection performs right with them at a significantly lower cost. As for splitting wood, I have ditched all my Stihl splitters for Fiskars splitting axes as well.

Feedback Score
    I picked up a kelly red warrior at the flea market last year for 20 bucks. In my youth the Stihl saws were always the best for hard use. Do they still have that good reputation?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I use a Gransfor Bruks small Forrest axe. Not too big or heavy. Great edge, cuts well for camping/hiking needs.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I have a few the most used are the Husqvarna carpenters axe and Wetterlings boys axe. I also like to use my Sager Chemical cruiser double bit. I just picked up a vintage Gransfors Bruks 3.5lb head on ebay last week and hung it on a new handle, but haven't used it much yet.
    I know many people like them, but I wouldn't own another Fiskars; I love their other stuff, just hate their axes.

Feedback Score
    I have two different Gransfors Bruks. Keep them oiled or they will rust.
    US NAVY
    1961-1965

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerOne
    Keep them oiled or they will rust.
    Yes on this.

Was on a roll buying Axes, but halted for now.

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet. —Quintus Dias

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    Yes on this.

Was on a roll buying Axes, but halted for now.

Dude! What is number 6 counting from the right hand side? That is a nice looking collection you have CLHC!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast