Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: What axe are you folks using?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    Fiskars. They are so good that I have several, but the 23.5” size is probably the one that sees most use.
    Fiskars has certainly streamlined my wood cutting chores. I have split three cords with it so far this year and I'm 73. Someone on another site recommended the 27 inch model and I followed his recommendation even though I am not tall. That added leverage really makes a difference.

Feedback Score
    Husqvarna 26" Classic. It gets the job done and I'm about the long handle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My axe:
    - Silky pocketboy (7.8oz)
    - ESEE Junglas (19.6oz)

Combined, 1.7lb. The saw folds into the little case for an easy lightweight carry in your pack, and it cuts through limbs up to nearly 6" diameter like a hot knife thru butter. I also have the slightly larger Silky Gomboy saw, about a 9" blade, that I use around the property for limbing, it's an amazing saw and some like that for their backpacking saw but I never need to process wood that large since I usually go it alone. Anybody who hasn't tried a Silky and loves fine-crafted tools and sharp steel, you've gotta try these saws, you'll never want to use a Gerber or Bahco or whatever again. The Junglas gives me chopping, limbing, splitting, brush clearing (limited machete functionality, but in my AO it's good enough and spares bringing another tool), plus it handles regular knife tasks. I've used the larger 10" Junglas for years, then they just came out with this slightly smaller 8", I like the form factor even better, it's a little more carry-able and manageable even though it gives up a little bit of the heft when chopping compared to its big brother. This along with a folder or a small fixed blade, is the 'sharps' kit that I take backpacking. I won't take axes on solo trips anymore for safety reasons, plus this is lighter and handles more tasks that I do.

Feedback Score
    I carry a CRKT tomahawk when hiking/outdoors.

sharpened it up and it'll do anything I need.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    I recently picked up a Council Tool (CT) Woodcraft axe (19" version). I looked long and hard at the Grasfors Bruks (GB) Small Forest axe, but I liked the head profile on the Woodcraft better. My understanding is that the the GB Small Forest axe is more of a limbing axe (hence the narrower profile), whereas the CT Woodcraft has more of a general purpose head design. But... I know a lot of people really like the Small Forest axe. Knowing me, I'll probably end up buying a GB eventually anyway.

I also have a H&B Forge Medium Camp Hawk on order. Everyone that owns one of these seems to think they're amazing. I guess I'll find out.

Feedback Score
    Regarding the Fiskars some of you mentioned... how long are they lasting with frequency of use?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AOTAC View Post
    Regarding the Fiskars some of you mentioned... how long are they lasting with frequency of use?
    I'm probably 6 years in.

Feedback Score
    I disassembled an old bookshelf into firewood using a Benchmade 172 Killian Forged.

The G10 grips are nice.

I'm looking at some of RMJ CRKT stuff.

I've heard good things about the Fiskars though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AOTAC View Post
    I have a Fiskars X27 that has split 30 cords of birch firewood. Treated properly I don't see it dying any time soon. I have a 28" chopping axe that is my winter camping axe and it has held up great as well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a Estwing Special Edition 26" Campers Axe. It replaced my Swamp Rat Tomahawk.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast