Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What axe are you folks using?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    I use a Council Tool "Hudson Bay" axe, mostly for splitting kindling at the woodpile.
    How does she perform for you?

I'm looking for a 24" Axe and the flat grind would be easier to maintain the convex grind in my GB SFA so I downloaded some reviews just today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    Council Tool Boy's Axe

20180512_122408.jpg

20180512_122532.jpg

A co-worker borrowed mine and used this for camping with his family. He stated that it's great for around the camp usage but not for extended trail hiking. I can't fault him for that.
    In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet. —Quintus Dias

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Anyone have experience with Estwing's camper's axe (26" long handle)?
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Anyone have experience with Estwing's camper's axe (26" long handle)?
    Yep. The blade is fairly thin do it is good at limbing and chopping through smaller trees and logs, or splitting kindling. Not so good at splitting rounds due to thin blade. I like the steel handle for durability but can't choke up on it for one handed splitting. Not long enough for felling trees of much size of course. Overall it does well at exactly as it is named: for camp chores.

For home use or more serious woods adventures I prefer a double bit axe and hatchet. For firewood splitting I like the Fiskars splitting axe.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Yep. The blade is fairly thin do it is good at limbing and chopping through smaller trees and logs, or splitting kindling. Not so good at splitting rounds due to thin blade. I like the steel handle for durability but can't choke up on it for one handed splitting. Not long enough for felling trees of much size of course. Overall it does well at exactly as it is named: for camp chores.
    Thanks for the reply.

I have one of their hawks and grew up with their camp ax (short leather washer handle). I like them due to them being a solid piece of steel as opposed to a head on stick.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I think my Council Tool Forest Servoce Edition Boys Axe is my favorite.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

What axe are you folks using?

After reading through this thread, figured I toss this into the mix.

For those of you using raw linseed oil, BLO works far better in axe handles as well as rifles.

BLO has driers in its formula that help it dry properly and not finish tacky like linseed oil.

Learnt this from a pro restorer and he was 100% correct. YMMV

Feedback Score
    I currently have two primary axes, GBA Small Forest Axe and an older Gerber Gator. Both great for different purposes. The GBA is rock solid and initially was afraid to use it as it is beautiful. Now it is my primary for car camping. If I backpack with an axe, I would take the Gerber merrily on weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Update: turns out an old axe in the barn that I assumed was a hardware store special was actually a Council Tool Velvicut Jersey axe. With some cleanup and edge reshaping, it's a cutter.

I'm going to re-hang it, but even with the old haft it made quick work on an 8 in hickory. I was stunned at how precise I was able to cut.

Also picked up a used husqvarna hand axe / hatchet. Super Sharp. But I had read online that folks thought the handle was a little thick. After using it some dealing with beaver stuff, I see what they mean. I've not gotten brave enough to reshape it but I will before it's over with.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    I have a couple Wolf Valley axes. The Kephart and a Carpenters Axe. Beautiful handmade work by Ike and serious cutters/choppers. Definitely worth the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast