Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What axe are you folks using?

Feedback Score
    Speaking of oil, what do you use on the handles? I picked up a re-handled boys axe at the flea market for $8. I had a half bottle of synthetic motor oil at the time so I used that on the handle. Seemed to work okay and soaked in nicely. When I brought the Hudson Bay home I picked up some boiled linseed oil and applied 7 or 8 coats. Handle turned out real nice and smooth.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tog View Post
    Dude! What is number 6 counting from the right hand side? That is a nice looking collection you have CLHC!
    Thanks. Number six [6] from the RH side is a Council Tool Velicut Hudson Bay Camp Axe.
    Quote Originally Posted by tog View Post
    Speaking of oil, what do you use on the handles? I picked up a re-handled boys axe at the flea market for $8. I had a half bottle of synthetic motor oil at the time so I used that on the handle. Seemed to work okay and soaked in nicely. When I brought the Hudson Bay home I picked up some boiled linseed oil and applied 7 or 8 coats. Handle turned out real nice and smooth.
    I used Klean Strip Boiled Linseed Oil also.
    In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, piss and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet. —Quintus Dias

Feedback Score
    Husqvarna Forest Axe, refinished the handle, treated with boiled linseed oil and touched up the convex edge

Feedback Score
    I use a Gransfors Bruks Scandinavian Forest Axe, love it.

On the handle I also use linseed oil. I also use linseed oil on all of my wood handled tools.

Feedback Score
    I'm relatively new to the axe game, but I picked up a Wetterlings Outdoor Axe 118 a while back, it has served me well. I think it's roughly analogous to the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe.

A trick I learned on a bushcraft forum is using the same Obenauf's LP that I put on my leather to coat the axe head and handle. Worked pretty well so far.

Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 12-27-17 at 17:29.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm a convert. I have a huge collection of various wood handled "traditional" axes and I'm slowly converting to just using Fiskars. I'm a Stihl chainsaw dealer and have every single model of their axes and hatchets they have produced in the last five years. The Fiskars collection performs right with them at a significantly lower cost. As for splitting wood, I have ditched all my Stihl splitters for Fiskars splitting axes as well.
    I agree.

We use our field tools hard. I make bolos and parangs and whatnot, and have lots of traditional cutting tools. The Fiskars splitting "maul" is tops. Does double duty as a felling axe and actually is superior to the axe as the one I gave my son actually took material under the plastic surrounding the head. I dug it out of the scrap pile for the pic. I reckon I'll use it for a hot chisel at the forge if the plastic handle doesn't melt.

I accept with sincere belief the doctrine of faith as handed down to us from the Apostles by the orthodox Fathers, always in the same sense and with the same interpretation.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFanToM View Post
    Husqvarna Forest Axe, refinished the handle, treated with boiled linseed oil and touched up the convex edge
    Coat the handle in thick linseed oil and then put a propane torch to it and let it burn off, then coat it again.

Improves the grip immensely. I do it with my smithing hammer handles.
    I accept with sincere belief the doctrine of faith as handed down to us from the Apostles by the orthodox Fathers, always in the same sense and with the same interpretation.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    I'm relatively new to the axe game, but I picked up a Wetterlings Outdoor Axe 118 a while back, it has served me well. I think it's roughly analogous to the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe.
    More so now, as Gransfors bought Wetterlings and will be using their forge for additional Gransfors production.
    https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/inf...ransfors-bruk/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
    More so now, as Gransfors bought Wetterlings and will be using their forge for additional Gransfors production.
    https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/inf...ransfors-bruk/
    Not really good news.

Wetterlings could be had for a fraction of what the GB axes go for. I suppose those days are over...
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Last edited by Clint; 01-01-18 at 13:44.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast