Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What axe are you folks using?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Also a Hudson Bay fan. Have a few axes but my Council Tool Velvicut is probably my favorite. A little too heavy for long backpacking trips but for short overnight missions or car camping its perfect.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EVR View Post
    Not really good news.

Wetterlings could be had for a fraction of what the GB axes go for. I suppose those days are over...
    Rats, I agree with you. I have a pair of Wetterlings and love them. I also have a GB axe and a hatchet of theirs, and they are tremendous. But I was able to buy both the Wetterlings at a great price during an online sale.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Most of the steel today is sh*t. Best advice anyone gave me is if you a need a hand tool of some sort buy it on ebay or a flea market and restore it. Even vice grips of today are crap compared to onse from 10 years ago.

If wanting an axe I would look on ebay for decent head in the pattern you want from Collins, Plumb, Sager Chemical (if looking for a double bit), or Kelly and then get a handle from your local hardware store or from Beaver Tooth Handles. Learn how to hang an axe it's a valuable skill and not hard.

If you must buy new, Councils Tools higher end axes are good along with Husqvarna, Wetterlings, Gränsfors Bruk, and Hults Bruk with Husqvarna being the best deal for the money as they are made by Wetterlings just not hevely finished. Fiskars make great splitting axes but are not the best for felling. The majority of boutique US made axes are OK but hands down you will get a better axe restoring one yourself. US steel from 30s through to the 60s is just unbeatable.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EVR View Post
    Not really good news.

Wetterlings could be had for a fraction of what the GB axes go for. I suppose those days are over...

IME, Wetterlings lacked in the fit and finish department as compared to GB which may explain the price difference. I’ve done some joint training with Air Force SERE types and they all carried GB Scandinavian Forest Axes. They used them to great effect and convinced an ultralight friend of mine to start carrying a hatchet.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So, can someone please explain to me, the uninitiated, what makes a GB axe so much better than any other axe?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    So, can someone please explain to me, the uninitiated, what makes a GB axe so much better than any other axe?
    Good steel and they are hand forged but most of it has to do with marketing

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Drop-forged of good steel which is tough and will hold an edge. QUALITY hickory handles which will last and tightly fitted to the head (these two are especially important and often overlooked). Overall nice finishing and their various models are well-balanced and designed to their respective purposes.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Good read on Swedish axe models if you care - http://www.ramblinjim.com/articles/s...-alternatives/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    Also a Hudson Bay fan. Have a few axes but my Council Tool Velvicut is probably my favorite. A little too heavy for long backpacking trips but for short overnight missions or car camping its perfect.

Excellent axe! Loved the axe making vids.
    I expend tremendous amounts of energy and time merely to be normal.

Feedback Score
    I have never tried one, but I have always been a fan of the Marbles axe. Anyone here ever used one? Next time I'm at SMKW I'm going to pick one up and give it a try.
    https://www.smkw.com/marbles-outdoor-axe-20-in-handle
    I expend tremendous amounts of energy and time merely to be normal.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast