Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy AR10 std Carbine length heavy buffer

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Heavy AR10 std Carbine length heavy buffer

I bought a PWS H3 buffer from Aim for my upcoming AR10 build. Bought some tungsten weights off a quality eBay seller (www.pur-tungsten.com), to convert the H3 buffer to an H4. This is possible because PWS buffers have a steel body.

However, upon putting the H3 on the scale I discovered that it was actually H2 weight at 4.6oz. Not a huge deal, but that’s on PWS. Glad I ordered the 3 weight set on eBay.

So, out went the two steel weights and in went two 1.45oz tungsten replacement weights. Total buffer weight is almost identical to the Vltor A5H4 at 6.7oz (the A5H4 is usually 6.8 on my scale).

So, this plus a Sprinco Red and an SLR Sentry 7 set screw Ti and we’ll be ready to rock. Build list:

*Faxon 308 16” mid gas, continuous taper barrel with .750” gas block journal, 4150 Nitride

*Matrix Arms DPMS high compatible receiver set (but it has the Armalite rear geometry)

*Radical 7.62 Nitride BCG

*Sprinco dual extractor springs

*Sprinco Red with optional cryogenic treatment

*Mega WedgeLock 14” Keymod handguard w/ standard Titanium barrel nut and receiver face pinned for anti rotation (by yours truly)

*Geissele SSA-E

*PWS H4 buffer

*Vltor A5 receiver extension

*SLR Sentry 7 Ti set screw AGB

The final buffer on the scale and the two steel weights removed (on the right) with my only remaining tungsten weight. The steel weights, though there were too many, were VERY finely machined. Never seen them look that clean. Turned on a lathe, they were *yoda voice*.

So, once I decide what charging handle I’m gonna get, it’s off to the races. It will be suppressed with a SiCo Saker 762 on an ASR three prong FH Mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 12-24-17 at 11:41.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I don’t think it belabors the point to stress the importance of the method of gas block installation.

First of all, start with a quality low pro or adjustable unit.

Second, dimple your barrel. At least the screw opposite the gas port. Not all gas blocks have the same screw spacing.

Third, use McMaster-Carr knurled cup-tip set screws.

Fourth, use either red high temp loctite 272, rocksett (my current personal favorite), or permatex high temp red threadlocker on both screws.

Fifth, with dimples, excessive torque is simply not necessary.

Sixth, if you really want to turn it up to “ELEVEN” (“but mine goes to eleven...”), use Loctite green 620 high temp sleeve retainer to line both the gas block journal and the inside bore of the gas block with a very light coat of sleeve retainer. Don’t goop it on there.

Assemble, ensure perfect alignment, torque down the screws, and let it set at room temp for 24 hours. Then install the gas tube and roll pin.

Granted, you’ll damn near need a hydraulic shop press to get it off... and you will absolutely need one if you want to re-use the gas block (only other way is to beat it off with a big ass dead blow hammer and a 2x4). But, if you want bomb proof and essentially zero gas leakage, this is the way.

I’ve done four of my personal rifles this way and over a dozen others (mostly suppressed SBRs). Three of which use routine full auto. Not a single issue.

NOTE: these adjustable gas blocks are not meant to be toggled between settings like your safety selector. Period. That technology in materials and design doesn’t exist yet, and it’s not what these current designs are made to do. These blocks are designed to help you find your optimal gas drive settings AND THEN BE LEFT ALONE. Think of them as being more akin to the alignment settings on your vehicle’s suspension. YES, it is adjustable, but you’re gonna wear shit out and cause problems if you’re constantly f*cking with it. Find your optimal settings and then LEAVE IT ALONE.

For all my builds, not a single issue..... and many are abused.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 12-24-17 at 14:06.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    No disagreement here with your process.

I’ll confess to being “guilty” of simply using the supplied set screws with the gas blocks- and I have used the Sentry 7 with success on a couple .308 ARs.
    I had not heard of the McMaster-Carr cup tip screws.
    Why are they your preference over the supplied screws?

In regards to CH selection; while I do like the BCM mod 3/4 extended, in particular with large ocular bell optics, they have a tendency to dig into my chest when carrying strapped.
    I have switched to Raptors due to this on other than “bench” guns.

Looking forward to your live fire report and photos.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    No disagreement here with your process.

I’ll confess to being “guilty” of simply using the supplied set screws with the gas blocks- and I have used the Sentry 7 with success on a couple .308 ARs.
    I had not heard of the McMaster-Carr cup tip screws.
    Why are they your preference over the supplied screws?

In regards to CH selection; while I do like the BCM mod 3/4 extended, in particular with large ocular bell optics, they have a tendency to dig into my chest when carrying strapped.
    I have switched to Raptors due to this on other than “bench” guns.

Looking forward to your live fire report and photos.
    I’ve actually had the same issue with all but the small latch gunfighters. Hence my pause. Raptor, Geissele, etc.

The cup tip screws I use are heat treated, oxide coated, and knurled.

Let me see if I can get a good macro shot on my new iPhone 8.......

UPDATE: meh. Heavily edited in photoshop mobile.

The knurling will actually fold over as you torque it; you can feel it happen. That means each tooth is digging into the metal, like a sharp lock-washer. Obviously, they are one time use items.

IraqGunz and Grant turned me onto them YEARS ago. There was no going back to anything else once I saw how well they worked.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 12-24-17 at 16:15.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Hopefully the Radical BCG does better than others I have seen.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Hopefully the Radical BCG does better than others I have seen.
    Fingers crossed. I got it for stupid cheap and will be upgrading to an LMT enhanced BCG regardless.

Having it cryogenically treated right now (got a connection who threw it in with a batch he already had scheduled) to hedge my bets. It’s, at most, a stop-gap.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yeah, your knurled set screw looks like a winner.
    I see why you’re using them.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Yeah, your knurled set screw looks like a winner.
    I see why you’re using them.
    It’s a lot of insurance right where you need it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    John Paul from JP Rifles comments on mass regulation vs gas regulation. He basically says what I’ve been saying; the breadth of operation across a wide range of port pressures favors using primarily high mass and moderate gas drive to regulate the cycle of precision the gun over low mass and minimal gas drive.

https://youtu.be/M5liUH3CawE

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast