Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6.5Creedmoor, to brake or not brake?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I read somewhere that a .30 cal brake is 85% as efficient on a 6.5.
    My experience would support this.
    Author claims only a 1-3% difference with a caliber specific (6.5 to .30 caliber) brake;

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/...for-6mm-6-5mm/

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^ This may be so.

I'm not familiar with the "6-XC" cartridge. I do know muzzle brakes work off of gas volume; the more gas, the more efficient the comp- irregardless of design.

I am able to spot my own hits at 400 yds. with a .30 cal "SILENCERCO SPECWAR/OMEGA TRIFECTA" brake on a 6.5 CM.
    I have use a Precision Armament M4-72 .30 cal comp on the 6.5's as well. It was extremely efficient, but was absurdly obnoxious re. muzzle blast.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56Geo View Post
    A two part question here. Does a brake help the 6.5Creedmoore enough to recover from the recoil to see bullet impact? Does a brake really help grouping. I have heard that brakes help and can also open up your group. What has been your expirance? Thanks for the help.

Thoughts....?
    The answer you your first question is absolutely yes with several caveats
    1. The closer the target is, the more the brake helps because there is less time between the firing pin hitting the primer and the bullet reaching the target. Meaning that there is less time to recover from a less than perfect recoil jump. Also, for a given magnification, the linear field of view shrinks the closer the target is. Meaning it you have to control recoil more effectively to minimize sideways jump at closer distances than you would farther away. Hard to explain but easy to see what I'm talking about from behind the rifle.

2. You can certainly spot your shots with an unbraked 6.5 Creedmoor. I (and lots of others) can do it with an unbraked 308. But it takes a much more refined position behind the rifle and recoil control to make sure the rifle recoils straight back without any sideways hop or jump. A brake buys you a little slack, but it won't make up for a really crappy position/recoil control.

As for what a brake does for accuracy, I have found (in a sample of one) that it did not affect accuracy negatively at all. It did change point of impact, which is no big deal as it is a one time adjustment to the elevation and windage turrets and slipping the caps to line up with zero again. I do think a brake makes it easier to get the best accuracy out of the rifle for the simple fact that it makes the rifle more comfortable to shoot and that leads to less tension in the shooter.

Last, I'd be wary of any claims that brake X is Y% better/worse than brake Z without seeing objective evidence (test data).

Feedback Score
    I have use a Precision Armament M4-72 .30 cal comp on the 6.5's as well. It was extremely efficient, but was absurdly obnoxious re. muzzle blast.
    I was going to buy one of those when I saw this test:

But changed my mind when almost every single comment about it was like yours......

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Gospel bro.

Perhaps on a dedicated competition gun, but the ROs would hate you.

Feedback Score
    Gospel bro.

Perhaps on a dedicated competition gun, but the ROs would hate you.
    Is it really that brutal towards the back?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have them on a couple 5.56 guns, that are dedicated competition guns.
    I wear plugs and muffs. I don’t notice much difference between the m4-72 and a flash hider behind the gun.
    The ROs and spectators do.

I had this same brake on a .308 AR.
    We were set up in a pasture, shooting at some distance.
    What shocked me was- with the first rd. the directed gasses cut a sunflower stalk, nearly in half, that was at least 5/8” in diameter.

They do shoot flat though.
    Last edited by gaijin; 01-20-19 at 15:42.

Feedback Score
    I have them on a couple 5.56 guns, that are dedicated competition guns.
    I wear plugs and muffs. I don’t notice much difference between the m4-72 and a flash hider behind the gun.
    The ROs and spectators do.

I had this same brake on a .308 AR.
    We were set up in a pasture, shooting at some distance.
    What shocked me was- with the first rd. the directed gasses cut a sunflower stalk, nearly in half, that was at least 5/8” in diameter.

They do shoot flat though.
    Ya my LR shooting partenr would hate me

Feedback Score
    I put an Ultradyne Apollo Max on my Savage Desert Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. It is very effective at reducing muzzle rise. Big difference vs. non-braked. The blast can be... disconcerting if not ready for it. Foamies under the muffs is strongly recommended.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Plugs and muffs make a difference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123