Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 7.62 Noveske AR Build

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Thanks for suggesting removing the upper for perform the test. I'm "working" from home today and have easy access to the components to test mine. My test involves a Gen 2 Magpul UBR with A5 length receiver extension without spacer, DPMS 308 carbine buffer, Aero M5 308 lower receiver, Aero 308 BCG.

To make things easier, I removed the spring. With a short DPMS 308 buffer from my spare parts stash (which is the same length as my Aero carbine buffer), the carrier does contact the lower receiver before the buffer reaches the end of the receiver extension. With the bolt carrier fully inserted and resting against the lower, the buffer slides forward and backward in the receiver extension freely.

I honestly don't comprehend how this setup.....A5 receiver extension/SR25 pattern BCG/SR25 pattern 308 carbine buffer.....is working well in anybody's rifle. I'm not trying to prove anybody wrong....just don't want anybody, which includes people reading this thread 5 years from now, damaging their rifle.
    Agreed! A short 308 carbine buffer in a A5 receiver extension will cause the gas key to contact the receiver during cycling. OTOH, I'm not sure if a standard length carbine buffer will work in an A5 with a 308 BCG or not, but it may.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

7.62 Noveske AR Build

Yes, a standard AR-15 Carbine buffer works well in an A5 receiver extension with an Aero or Gen 1 DPMS 308 bolt carrier group.

The Aero bolt carrier contacts the lower receiver behind the gas key, where he carrier transitions to a larger diameter.

Sorry we're jacking up your build thread.....
    Last edited by grizzman; 12-27-17 at 11:15.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Yes, a standard AR-15 Carbine buffer works well in an A5 receiver extension with an Aero or Gen 1 DPMS 308 bolt carrier group.

The Aero bolt carrier contacts the lower receiver behind the gas key, where he carrier transitions to a larger diameter.

Sorry we're jacking up your build thread.....
    No issues at all. Like I said I am always up for a good discussion on weapons.

Quick question? Are any of you using a 308 A5 RE for this or are all of you using a 5.56 A5 RE?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post

Quick question? Are any of you using a 308 A5 RE for this or are all of you using a 5.56 A5 RE?
    I'm using a Vltor AR-15 A5 receiver extension. I looked on Vltor's site yesterday for a length of the 308 A5 receiver extension to compare it to their stated 5.56 AR receiver extension length, but it's not shown. It may be listed on one of their vendor sites.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I'm using a Vltor AR-15 A5 receiver extension. I looked on Vltor's site yesterday for a length of the 308 A5 receiver extension to compare it to their stated 5.56 AR receiver extension length, but it's not shown. It may be listed on one of their vendor sites.
    I will measure both tonight and post the lengths for informational purposes.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post

I'm using a standard length RE (Gen 1 Magpul UBR) with a short 308 buffer from Slash (5.5oz I think).

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    The A5 and RE-10(A5SR) are the same length. The only difference is the number of stock positions with the A5 having 7 and the A5SR having 6.

Feedback Score
    I have a question on the noveske BCG, the one on their site in the parts section is phosphate but I could've sworn on a factory built N6 that it had a black nitride BCG.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    I have a question on the noveske BCG, the one on their site in the parts section is phosphate but I could've sworn on a factory built N6 that it had a black nitride BCG.
    That is correct. They do not offer the nitrided 7.62 BCG separately. I am sure that is to come but not now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have one nitrided bolt carrier, and it's showing some wear on the rails and inside the gas cylinder after around 250 rounds fired. I presume the Noveske is chrome lined.

I think I'll personally stick with phosphated and chromed for now.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast