Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR spring replacement intervals?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcpd19
    Along the issue of mag springs, don't they also make springs for Glock? How do C Products springs compare for AR's/M16's?
    ISMI makes springs for just about every magazine out there. CProducts uses CS springs (not made by ISMI) in their SS mags and is an option I think on their Alum. mags.

C4

I think the most important springs to keep your eye on is the extractor and action springs (in that order). A little PM with those can help with some headaches down the road. As said above there are upgrading options if you choose.

As far as ejector, hammer, trigger, J, sear, disco, various detent, etc, I am sure that they can fail over time, but if they were good quality to begin with - it is rare to see it happen.

For the Worlds Best Gunfighter Training
    Please visit http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/gunfighters

www.BravoCompanyUSA.com

www.BravoCompanyMFG.com

1 - 877 - BRAVO CO

Semper Fi !

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Paul,
    Thats where the question was targeted. Fire control, extractor and ejector springs. But how many rounds. Is there a hard fast rule to follow?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShortyB
    Paul,
    Thats where the question was targeted. Fire control, extractor and ejector springs. But how many rounds. Is there a hard fast rule to follow?

Thanks
    If there is a hard and fast rule, I am not specifically familiar with it. But there probably are some good guidlines that have been offered.

I have some old Colts (cica 1989) that have 20K round in them, and I have never needed to replace any springs except the extractor. I do think they would benefit from a new action spring.

I guess, to quantifiy some sort of advice, I would say if using a "milspec" quality extractor and action spring - replace after 5K rounds would work well as a preventitive maintainance.
    If your using the rifle in the line of duty, cut those numbers in half.
    ymmv
    Last edited by BravoCompanyUSA; 06-24-06 at 13:27.

For the Worlds Best Gunfighter Training
    Please visit http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/gunfighters

www.BravoCompanyUSA.com

www.BravoCompanyMFG.com

1 - 877 - BRAVO CO

Semper Fi !

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Grant,

Are you still changing the ISMI springs at 3-5K intervals or are you simply checking them to ensure the length is acceptible?

Feedback Score
    I'm probably going to need two extractor and buffer (action) springs soon.

TS
    Haji don't surf!
    I Buy C Products Magazines

AR15Armory.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4arc
    I believe that's the reason why this forum was started

The goal was to create a forum that was both educational, informative and fun!

True. It's just that 99% of the information given on such websites is about barrels, uppers, lowers and mags. Springs and other PM info is passed over or just not discussed most of the time.

TS
    Haji don't surf!
    I Buy C Products Magazines

AR15Armory.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12