Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Training

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Basic Training

After years of owning a PPQ and teaching myself how to do a reasonably good job of hitting targets on a short indoor range and once-yearly at a 25 yard outdoor range, I’d like to get more proficient.

In addition, after spending inordinate amounts of money building (or purchasing two halves and then upgrading specific aspects...) two AR’s, including a BCM-based SBR, plus having all the parts to actually do a full build with Aero, Toolcraft, ALG, and Ballistic Advantage components...
    I’d like to learn how to shoot well. I enjoy finding the good deals and putting things together, so the money I’ve spent doesn’t bother me at all. I am bothered knowing that I’m not actually good at using the tools I made. It’s like spending a bunch of money on a Mustang’s suspension and then not driving it on a track (but I did that).

I have the Magpul carbine DVD’s, and I enjoyed the clips of the pistol training that I’ve seen around the internet, but which I cannot find for sale anywhere. I’ve looked at others. But I’m looking for recommendations.

What home-based training do you recommend that would provide a good basis to further self-teaching until I can attend legitimate basic carbine and basic pistol classes?

Feedback Score
    I suspect you’re gonna get a plethora of advice to take a class, and I won’t disagree that is the best way to go. I’ve taken several Gunsite classes and having a great instructor critique your shooting real time is an excellent way to improve quickly.

If you insist on a DIY approach, I’d suggest you stick with DVDs from the best instructors. One excellent source is the “Make Ready” series:

http://panteao.com/product-category/training-videos/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Take a class from a qualified instructor. IMHO videos only help to prepare you a little for getting the most out of a class.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies. There are some moderately-reputable looking classes in the area over 2018. I’ll be looking at those. Plus it looks like Gunsite will be coming to host classes ~3 hours from me, so that would be a consideration, too.

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm a self-taught guy. I watched a lot of internet videos on the subject and asked a lot of questions on forums. I shoot twice a month and dry fire every day. The thing is, when I go to a shooting range, nobody is really better than I am standing with irons.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    What home-based training do you recommend that would provide a good basis to further self-teaching until I can attend legitimate basic carbine and basic pistol classes?
    I know you are asking about home-based training. But you should seriously consider shooting in local competitions. None are going to be the perfect training for you (or anyone). But, at least some of your skills will improve very quickly. You may want to look into things like USPSA, IDPA, 3 gun and/or 2 gun competitions.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    J-Mamma, I appreciate the suggestion. I did a check, and there are some USPSA or other competitions about two counties away. Not super close, but something that would provide a challenge, which would itself be motivating.

Feedback Score
    Honestly, just take a class. You don't need to get good enough to take a class. Entry level classes are geared for your current level of proficiency.

Feedback Score
    Yes, there are a few people who have successfully self tought, with the aid of good written material . But they're the exceptions that prove the rules .

It's waaaay to easy to fall into bad habits that are a lot harder to correct later on .

At a minimum , get a grounding in Marksmanship Fundimentals . Doesn't have to be fancy or high speed/ low drag at this point, just a grounding in the basics . NRA Basic Pistol or Basic Rifle, Appleseed . ( For the 'yutes out there, Rifle & Shotgun Shooting Merit Badge, or 4H Marksmanship .) Or even private coaching from an experienced and knowledgeable friend/ mentor .

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Take a class for techniques and fundamentals. Dry fire at home religiously before and after to perfect through repetition sight alignment and trigger control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast