Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those with Crye JPCs, what do your plates weigh? And are my plates too heavy?

Feedback Score

For those with Crye JPCs, what do your plates weigh? And are my plates too heavy?

I was thinking of getting a Crye JPC, but I have a set of steel 10x12 plates that weigh 8lbs 10 oz each so I was wondering if that would be too uncomfortable for that plate carrier or if I should invest in some ceramic plates first (or another carrier).

And also what does your entire PC weigh with your mags/whatever other gear you have on it.

PS: Also to clarify my question "Are my plates too heavy" I meant too heavy for the plate carrier.

Appreciate any input.
    Last edited by NotAnOperator; 01-10-18 at 18:01.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a JPC and stand alone Lvl4 ceramic plates. I believe they are 7 or 8lbs each. I can look it up. I don't know if plates can be too heavy for a carrier. They may or may not be too heavy for you. I'm able to wear the carrier during an entire day class without too much discomfort. It does get annoying after a while.

As for the total weight I never checked. Also, living in NJ I can only load it with 15 round mags so it may not translate well to you.

I guess the only way to find out is put the plates in and put it on.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the response! I was planning on taking some carbine classes that's why I was asking, my current carrier is crap too much shit around the shoulder straps, bulky, just junk. Also each 30 round mag weighs about a pound so the plates+magazines will be 20 pounds in total. I can manage the weight but I wasn't sure if it would be a better idea to go with lower weight plates for better mobility, or just use what I have and pickup the JPC (Limited funds atm.) I like the minimalist design of it, just didn't know if the steel plates would be ridiculous in a plate carrier like that. 20 pounds isn't bad for three 30 round magazines and plates right? -NAO
    Last edited by NotAnOperator; 01-10-18 at 23:05.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Yes, steel plates are ridiculous in a JPC... Although 17+ pounds of plates is, IMHO, getting ridiculous in any carrier.
    And yes, you're right to question this as JPC's aren't exactly great weight-bearing carriers.

*That being said*.... your total loadout of 20 pounds should be fine if you want to run a JPC with the plates you have.
    Something to think about as you work this out is not *just* the plate weight- what does your *entire* load that will be going on whatever PC you choose weigh?
    It's entirely possible to have super lightweight plates, and still completely overload a carrier....
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Yes, steel plates are ridiculous in a JPC... Although 17+ pounds of plates is, IMHO, getting ridiculous in any carrier.
    And yes, you're right to question this as JPC's aren't exactly great weight-bearing carriers.

*That being said*.... your total loadout of 20 pounds should be fine if you want to run a JPC with the plates you have.
    Something to think about as you work this out is not *just* the plate weight- what does your *entire* load that will be going on whatever PC you choose weigh?
    It's entirely possible to have super lightweight plates, and still completely overload a carrier....

That's what I was thinking, 20 pounds for just plates and three magazines, not to mention the rest of my gear -water being a big requirement. I suppose I'll sell these and get some light ceramics instead so I can add more pertinent items to my kit and buy a JPC to lighten the load. It would be understandable (I think) if it was 20 pounds with radio, batteries, water, and magazines. Though I'm trying to keep a lot of that junk off of my plate carrrier and run it on my belt system, or a pack. Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    These help distribute the weight a bit better than the thin Hypalon straps. Not for jumpable, but for wearing them for extended periods

http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-BRIG-Mk2-S...-p/pig.704.htm

Feedback Score
    I've decided I'm just gonna sell my AR550 plates and current carrier then purchase some lightweight polyethylene rifle plates instead.
    Last edited by NotAnOperator; 03-11-18 at 19:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My Level IV swimmer cut 10x12" plates are 7lbs each.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAnOperator View Post
    Thanks, I've decided I'm just gonna sell my AR550 plates and current carrier then purchase some lightweight polyethylene rifle plates instead.
    know they are allergic to Green Tips M855. will not stop them.

Tyr Tactical sometimes has some great deals on plates. Keep checking their website. For a carrier, GreyGhostGear makes a decent quality plate carrier that is worth the $$ when it's on sale IMO. Usually around $100; minimalist and great value

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    know they are allergic to Green Tips M855.
    Yeah after a while of looking around I found that out, and seeing as that's a common round it makes them pretty useless. From what I've seen the lowest weight I can get with plates BUT still provide M855 protection seems to be about 4.1 pounds each in a sapi cut 9.5x12.5 which is great. Expensive though but I have a few things I can sell to buy a couple of them. Appreciate the tip on the GGG plate carrier It's cheaper but a similar design as the JPC. Might try one out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast