Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those with Crye JPCs, what do your plates weigh? And are my plates too heavy?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAnOperator View Post
    Yeah after a while of looking around I found that out, and seeing as that's a common round it makes them pretty useless. From what I've seen the lowest weight I can get with plates BUT still provide M855 protection seems to be about 4.1 pounds each in a sapi cut 9.5x12.5 which is great. Expensive though but I have a few things I can sell to buy a couple of them. Appreciate the tip on the GGG plate carrier It's cheaper but a similar design as the JPC. Might try one out.
    I run a JPC with small ESPIs. 4.6 lbs a pop. Which is 9.2 lbs in armor. A small JPC weighs 1.2 lbs. we’re at 10.4. A loaded magazine for me weighs 1.2 lbs, so 3.6 lbs of rifle ammo. So a little over 14 pounds since I also have a TQ and a cell vault with 2 batteries in. I’m adding 2 pistol mags. Possibly 1 more rifle mag. An IFAK. And possibly a hydration carrier or small pouches on the back. With the JPC. I highly suggest the AVS pads. The stock JPC shoulder, wire management straps with no padding sucks once you move around with 14 lbs, or more, all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like pictures of guns, dogs, and trucks? Me too. Let's be friends, or not, whatever you want to do. Just an option
    Instagram

Psalm 140:4
    Profile pic by 556 Productions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mballz23 View Post
    I run a JPC with small ESPIs. 4.6 lbs a pop. Which is 9.2 lbs in armor. A small JPC weighs 1.2 lbs. we’re at 10.4. A loaded magazine for me weighs 1.2 lbs, so 3.6 lbs of rifle ammo. So a little over 14 pounds since I also have a TQ and a cell vault with 2 batteries in. I’m adding 2 pistol mags. Possibly 1 more rifle mag. An IFAK. And possibly a hydration carrier or small pouches on the back. With the JPC. I highly suggest the AVS pads. The stock JPC shoulder, wire management straps with no padding sucks once you move around with 14 lbs, or more, all day.
    So small Sapi cut plates provide enough vital organ coverage for you? I bought a set of steel 10x12s and I can't get a proper buttstock placement in my shoulder pocket with them on. I have to place the rifle on the plate instead and it slips off. In light of that I'm thinking of purchasing a 8.75x11.5 SAPI cut Small now instead, since the 10x12 was too big and a sapi cut medium is only half an inch smaller I'm afraid I'll run into the same problem.

If I get small plates the weight should be 8.2 pounds with three magazines, the carrier, and plates. Plenty of wiggle room to add something for hydration or a "cell vault" which is pretty cool to have on your gear thanks for mentioning that I might have to throw one on my kit as well for my weapon lights. I'm not sure I need an IFAK on my plate carrier since I have a belt setup with one on it.
    Finally I believe these shoulder pads are what you mentioned right? https://www.cryeprecision.com/Produc...houlder-covers

I'm seemingly getting the logistics worked out This site is a really good place for information though, and thanks to everyone that have been contributing to this thread helping me along lmao . This Stuff is time consuming figuring out how you if you want a good setup. Weight, Sizing, Quality of gear all goes into a good kit or shitty one. I went the cheap route with steel plates and a cheap carrier and realized it was a dumb idea after getting it in and wearing it for a period of time. Buy once cry once?

Feedback Score

For those with Crye JPCs, what do your plates weigh? And are my plates too heavy?

So small Sapi cut plates provide enough vital organ coverage for you? I bought a set of steel 10x12s and I can't get a proper buttstock placement in my shoulder pocket with them on. I have to place the rifle on the plate instead and it slips off. In light of that I'm thinking of purchasing a 8.75x11.5 SAPI cut Small now instead, since the 10x12 was too big and a sapi cut medium is only half an inch smaller I'm afraid I'll run into the same problem.

If I get small plates the weight should be 8.2 pounds with three magazines, the carrier, and plates. Plenty of wiggle room to add something for hydration or a "cell vault" which is pretty cool to have on your gear thanks for mentioning that I might have to throw one on my kit as well for my weapon lights. I'm not sure I need an IFAK on my plate carrier since I have a belt setup with one on it.
    Finally I believe these shoulder pads are what you mentioned right? https://www.cryeprecision.com/Produc...houlder-covers

I'm seemingly getting the logistics worked out This site is a really good place for information though, and thanks to everyone that have been contributing to this thread helping me along lmao . This Stuff is time consuming figuring out how you if you want a good setup. Weight, Sizing, Quality of gear all goes into a good kit or shitty one. I went the cheap route with steel plates and a cheap carrier and realized it was a dumb idea after getting it in and wearing it for a period of time. Buy once cry once?

Ok. So I’ll answer this in bullet points.

- Yes Small ESAPIs give me adequate coverage. I’m not that small of a guy but I’m not big, nor do I have a gut, use to, not anymore. 5’9” 190. I weighed mobility more to movement. Smalls give me vital coverage to lungs heart and upper intestines. Lower intestines are out to dry. But I can bend over a lot better in Smalls than Larges. Which I deemed more important. Deem your mission set for yourself, not what I told you.

Mediums give me the best balance of coverage to mobility. Medium ESAPIS in a JPC allow me to shoulder a weapon great, my smalls even better. Which is what the JPC excels at. Now every body type is different so take that for what it’s worth.

Yes I will pick up Medium ESAPIs at some point. When ever the department I’m applying at hires me, I will keep a medium sized Velocity LEPC, with medium ESAPIs in it, and the spiritus micro fight (rifle mags, pistol mags, medical) on the front of it, in the front seat of the patrol car. I will also size it to fit over my soft armor. Medium because it allows me to still bend over as well as access the duty belt. Again, your mission set dictates how you set your armor up.

- when it comes to plates especially ESAPIs or SAPIs, a 1/2” is a lot. You’d be surprised.

-With three mags, small SAPIs, carrier, and a few odds and ends you’ll be around 12-13 lbs.

-the cell vaults are money. I will pick up more.

-the IFAK on my JPC is for some one else to use on me. The belt IFAK is for me to use on me or someone else. Your priorities dictate how you set up medical.

-yes. Those are the AVS pads

-yes. Buy once cry once.

Last edited by mballz23; 02-23-18 at 20:20.
    Like pictures of guns, dogs, and trucks? Me too. Let's be friends, or not, whatever you want to do. Just an option
    Instagram

Feedback Score
    Ok. So I’ll answer this in bullet points.

- Yes Small ESAPIs give me adequate coverage. I’m not that small of a guy but I’m not big, nor do I have a gut, use to, not anymore. 5’9” 190. I weighed mobility more to movement. Smalls give me vital coverage to lungs heart and upper intestines. Lower intestines are out to dry. But I can bend over a lot better in Smalls than Larges. Which I deemed more important. Deem your mission set for yourself, not what I told you.

Mediums give me the best balance of coverage to mobility. Medium ESAPIS in a JPC allow me to shoulder a weapon great, my smalls even better. Which is what the JPC excels at. Now every body type is different so take that for what it’s worth.

Yes I will pick up Medium ESAPIs at some point. When ever the department I’m applying at hires me, I will keep a medium sized Velocity LEPC, with medium ESAPIs in it, and the spiritus micro fight (rifle mags, pistol mags, medical) on the front of it, in the front seat of the patrol car. I will also size it to fit over my soft armor. Medium because it allows me to still bend over as well as access the duty belt. Again, your mission set dictates how you set your armor up.

- when it comes to plates especially ESAPIs or SAPIs, a 1/2” is a lot. You’d be surprised.

-With three mags, small SAPIs, carrier, and a few odds and ends you’ll be around 12-13 lbs.

-the cell vaults are money. I will pick up more.

-the IFAK on my JPC is for some one else to use on me. The belt IFAK is for me to use on me or someone else. Your priorities dictate how you set up medical.

-yes. Those are the AVS pads

-yes. Buy once cry once.
    I'm 5'7 close to 5'8 but like you said it's different for everyone but I think I'll play it safe and try small SAPIs instead since 10x12s have left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak.
    I just want to be able to shoulder my rifle correctly without having to put the rifle stock on my plates. I did actually originally order 8x10 plates and they were too small and sent them back
    and now the 10x12 are too big lmao.

But I'm hoping to hit a sweet spot with a .75 wider plate
    Gnite

Feedback Score
    I'm 5'7 close to 5'8 but like you said it's different for everyone but I think I'll play it safe and try small SAPIs instead since 10x12s have left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak.
    I just want to be able to shoulder my rifle correctly without having to put the rifle stock on my plates. I did actually originally order 8x10 plates and they were too small and sent them back
    and now the 10x12 are too big lmao.

But I'm hoping to hit a sweet spot with a .75 wider plate
    Gnite
    Steel armor. Specifically 10x12s have a shooters cut. SAPIs are, well, SAPI cut so it’s a little bit more drastic of a shoulder angle. To show you how smalls fit. The top of my 19 is at the top of my belly button. Top of the plate is level with the suprasternal notch.

Picture angle makes it look like more but it’s about 2” above my belly button

Instagram

Feedback Score
    Steel armor. Specifically 10x12s have a shooters cut. SAPIs are, well, SAPI cut so it’s a little bit more drastic of a shoulder angle. To show you how smalls fit. The top of my 19 is at the top of my belly button. Top of the plate is level with the suprasternal notch.

Picture angle makes it look like more but it’s about 2” above my belly button
    Ok I took a tape measure for 11.5 inches and from my sternal notch down and it ends just barely over my belly button. 8.75 inches across lands just before the ol kneepills. Chest diameter is 35-36" around as well (For what it's worth).
    I'm not exactly positive about how the sapi shoulder cuts will be either, but It seems like a better option than continuing to use my shooters cut 10x12s that I can't present weapons properly with.

My weaver stance with a pistol is also kinda constricted as it gets bunched up and tight between my shoulders making it hard to present my handgun (I suspect this is in part to having a turd carrier...)
    I do have a similar "smaller" frame like you and from what I see in the pic you sent, small plates fit well for you and it looks like a medium would be uncomfortable compared personally but I don't know. I've not tried enough plates to find what works best yet so live and learn I suppose.

Bound to fail a couple times before striking a happy spot. <That's what she said??
    Last edited by NotAnOperator; 02-24-18 at 22:36.

Feedback Score
    Ok I took a tape measure for 11.5 inches and from my sternal notch down and it ends just barely over my belly button. 8.75 inches across lands just before the ol kneepills. Chest diameter is 35-36" around as well (For what it's worth).
    I'm not exactly positive about how the sapi shoulder cuts will be either, but It seems like a better option than continuing to use my shooters cut 10x12s that I can't present weapons properly with.

My weaver stance with a pistol is also kinda constricted as it gets bunched up and tight between my shoulders making it hard to present my handgun (I suspect this is in part to having a turd carrier...)
    I do have a similar "smaller" frame like you and from what I see in the pic you sent, small plates fit well for you and it looks like a medium would be uncomfortable compared personally but I don't know. I've not tried enough plates to find what works best yet so live and learn I suppose.

Bound to fail a couple times before striking a happy spot. <That's what she said??
    Mediums work great for me. I got these small plates for a smoking deal and I wanted smalls to begin with, so... I rock smalls. That being said I’ve found that smalls give me more mobility. As opposed to mediums. I’ve worn small mediums and large E/SAPIs. The plate itself is what’s bunching you up when shooting pistol. Steel plates aren’t that great for shooting pistol. Large plates tend to do that for me as well. Medium is the perfect blend of mobility, usability, and protection. Smalls on me are leaning more towards mobility and usability and less protection.

Instagram

Feedback Score
    Mediums work great for me. I got these small plates for a smoking deal and I wanted smalls to begin with, so... I rock smalls. That being said I’ve found that smalls give me more mobility. As opposed to mediums. I’ve worn small mediums and large E/SAPIs. The plate itself is what’s bunching you up when shooting pistol. Steel plates aren’t that great for shooting pistol. Large plates tend to do that for me as well. Medium is the perfect blend of mobility, usability, and protection. Smalls on me are leaning more towards mobility and usability and less protection.
    I struck a good deal on a Small JPC now all that's left are the plates. I've heard people talk about Highcom plates being good but the weight on them are higher than DFNDR armor plates I've found (Dunno if anyone has experience with them or not. https://www.dfndrarmor.com/product/l...te-body-armor/ Any thoughts/What you run for armor? Don't think personally level IV plates are a requirement either just needs to stop m855 and be pretty lightweight (Small sapi size).

Money isn't an issue now I realized after the first purchases I need to just buy good shit instead.
    Last edited by NotAnOperator; 03-02-18 at 20:37.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12