Thread: Springfield SOCOM 16 CQB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Springfield SOCOM 16 CQB

Hey all

So I decided I wanted to get another SOCOM 16 after I sold my last one. I miss that gun dearly, and I really like the look of the CQB so I went ahead and dropped a deposit on one at Deguns. I plan to pay it off and get it shipped after I get my tax return. When I used to have my SOCOM 16 I used to shoot Federal XM80C I believe which ran about $16 for 20 rounds plus tax here in NY. Buying ammo is a real pain around here when it comes to ordering it online. I have seen boxes of 100 .308 go for sometimes $70-$80 at Field and Stream which is their own brand but I feel like that's not good to run through an M1A. Whats the cheapest (but still safe) ammo I can run through the gun? I'm not competition shooting, this gun will be for target shooting and home defense.

Also, how is Deguns? I see a lot of mixed reviews but so far so good for me. Giving me 60 days to pay off the gun but I want it ASAP.

Feedback Score
    Any M80 ball clone will be perfectly fine for plinking/blasting out of an M1A.

I also live in NY and ordering ammo, while a PITA post Safeact, is still do-able. AIM surplus has PPU M80 cheap right now @ $9.95/20, and it's good stuff. Order it by the case have it shipped to an FFL, and even with the fee ($10 per order, unlimited amount) it's still cheaper than buying local. You might have to shop around for an FFL that won't rape you on the fee.

I usually roll my own, as it is cheaper, and I end up with better ammo. Using my own brass, I can make 168gr HPBT rounds that will shoot circles around any factory FMJ stuff for less $$$ per round.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ww2farmer View Post
    Any M80 ball clone will be perfectly fine for plinking/blasting out of an M1A.

I also live in NY and ordering ammo, while a PITA post Safeact, is still do-able. AIM surplus has PPU M80 cheap right now @ $9.95/20, and it's good stuff. Order it by the case have it shipped to an FFL, and even with the fee ($10 per order, unlimited amount) it's still cheaper than buying local. You might have to shop around for an FFL that won't rape you on the fee.

I usually roll my own, as it is cheaper, and I end up with better ammo. Using my own brass, I can make 168gr HPBT rounds that will shoot circles around any factory FMJ stuff for less $$$ per round.
    Hm, never ordered ammo before actually. Closest I've done is through a LGS website and then picked it up for no additional charge. But that was still quite expensive ($17 a box of 20 XM80C). Thanks for the tip. What part of NY do you live in? I live on Long Island.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    What part of NY do you live in? I live on Long Island.
    Southern Tier /WNY....way upstate.

Feedback Score
    My M1A Scout Squad runs Federal Eagle 150gr fmj-bt dry accurately. I have a LGS that sells a box of 20 for $15. This is the hat I got the first time shooting 100 yards with open sights. I have to work on my vertical sight picture, but I can’t ask for more accuracy. I was wearing a heavy coat, I believe it caused me to shoot to left. For some reason the picture is sideways, the left is the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sechott; 01-15-18 at 06:13.