Thread: .223 and 5.56

Feedback Score

.223 and 5.56

Im new when it comes to reloading the .223 or 5.56. My question is what is the difference? As far as I can tell they both use brass that the measurements are the same.... They use the same diameter bullets with the sectional density being a small bit different.. According to my Hornady book. The only real differince I can see is the 5.56 is loaded a little hotter.... Can anyone help me out?????? Is the brass actully stamped .223 or 5.56 ?

Feedback Score
    They are the same, don't sweat it. Lake City (LC) brass is marked with LC and year (LC 07), with a NATO cross opposite, but no cartridge designator.

NATO 5.56 typically has the primer crimped, so when you reload these you'll have to either swage or ream the crimp out.

LC brass is good, Winchester is good. Remington is decent. Be careful with Federal, it is soft.

Most cases run 92-95 grains. Some cases are heavier (PMP, PMC IIRC), so segregate those and download a grain or more just to be safe. I keep those segregated and have yet to shoot many of them, but when I get around to it, I'll download them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpacker21 View Post
    Im new when it comes to reloading the .223 or 5.56. My question is what is the difference? As far as I can tell they both use brass that the measurements are the same.... They use the same diameter bullets with the sectional density being a small bit different.. According to my Hornady book. The only real differince I can see is the 5.56 is loaded a little hotter.... Can anyone help me out?????? Is the brass actully stamped .223 or 5.56 ?
    The differences are not in the brass, but in the load (pressures generated etc) and in the chambers used in the guns that shoot 5.56.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpacker21 View Post
    Im new when it comes to reloading the .223 or 5.56. My question is what is the difference?
    Forget about all that. Just decide what you want to accomplish with your load. Accuracy? Velocity? Low cost practice ammo?

Then go from there.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

The formerly gun-loving state of Colorado.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    Forget about all that. Just decide what you want to accomplish with your load. Accuracy? Velocity? Low cost practice ammo?

Then go from there.
    I'd like to bite on that. What are your ammunition preferences for each of your above categories (accuracy, velocity, cost)?. Really my M4 is a plinker, varminter, and target shooter so accuracy rules for me. Personal defense for me is a 12 gauge and buckshot

What would be your load of choice if going after javelinas and coyotes?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have no idea for that. I'm sure others will have their pet loads. I don't hunt, other than dove every once in a while.

My load is for accurate target shooting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    My coyote load is 60 gr. Hornady hollow point with 26 gr. IMR 4895. Works great in my S&W MP15A 1/9". I'm sure others will have their favorite but this is the one I like.
    Any day you can pull a trigger is a good day.

The formerly gun-loving state of Colorado.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nightw50 View Post
    My coyote load is 60 gr. Hornady hollow point with 26 gr. IMR 4895. Works great in my S&W MP15A 1/9". I'm sure others will have their favorite but this is the one I like.
    Thanks. Should work well in my 15T too, then.