Thread: Rifle-length gas system do I need to change anything?

Feedback Score

Rifle-length gas system do I need to change anything?

Rifle-length gas system do I need to change anything?

I have an AR-15 with a mid-length gas system and I'm going to be changing out the barrel to a rifle-length match. Anything need to changed in the buffer system, etc.? It has a Colt H1 buffer and Colt buffer spring now. Will it work as is or am I overlooking something?

Thank you very much!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    h2 would most closely match a rifle buffer system. H1 might work ok. This all depends on the barrel and the port size of course.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have a 20" rifle length .223 Wylde with a carbine stock, standard spring, H1 buffer. No issues, 223 lands about 3:30, 5.56 lands about 2:30.
    As markm said, depends on barrel and port size, but I don't expect you would have any issues. While the dwell time is about an inch longer, the gas pressure at the port is lower.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    The barrel is a Lilja 20" .223 Wylde, 0.093" gas port hole, rifle length gas system. http://riflebarrels.com/shop/drop-in...23-8-ar740-20/

At this point I'll install the barrel and see how it cycles. Thanks for your help...

ar740_2018-03-06.jpg

Feedback Score
    Recent data point.

BCM chrome lined, 20" barrel, rifle gas (0.093" port), standard BCG, Sprinco green spring. Cycles PMC bronze through IMI 77 and 55gr fine. Even assembled a few heavy A2 buffers and at 7.1 oz, still cycles everything.

Going to try an LMT E-carrier and adding a buffer weight spring from an A5 buffer. If building another one, would start with a BRT GB with a 0.089" port and A2/A5-H2.
    Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 03-10-18 at 14:12.

Feedback Score
    Turns out not changing anything worked perfect for changing a mid-length barrel to a rifle-length gas system. Same everything just a barrel change!