G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: 18" SPR barrel recommendations

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0

    18" SPR barrel recommendations

    I have a noveske gen 3 upper/ lower with A5 buffer system and STR stock. I'm looking for suggestions for 18" SS barrels. I wanted to find what the latest greatest is out there. I hear the noveske 18" spr match barrel is hit or miss. Looking for sub MOA with hand loads.

    White oak?
    Rainier?

    Btw it's been years since I've been here and forgot my username / password, thus the new account.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    2,345
    Feedback Score
    78 (100%)
    Those are both really good barrel manufacturers. My SS BA 18” barrels are subMOA with factory SMK.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word”. J. Steinbeck
    "Life sucks. Then you die."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    298
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My 20" WOA SDM has been great. With my handloads at 100 yards it will shoot from my best of ~.5 to just over moa at my worst. I'm no marksman. 10" steel at 550 yards is boring. I haven't actually shot it for groups yet at longer ranges. It's on my to do list.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    33
    Feedback Score
    0
    WOA 20" SAM-R barrel will do 1/2 with factory ammo (Hornady) at 100. It will also get me to 1000, but not 1 MOA, I'm sure that's shooter plus wind plus 5.56. I like to tell myself it's mostly wind and caliber and I'm good with that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    217
    Feedback Score
    0
    WOA or Compass lake engineering are worth checking out. Depending on budget Compass lake has criterion, Douglass, Krieger, and Bartlein blanks to choose from. Lots of good feedback

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks. As far as price it doesn't really matter. I was going to pick up a noveske barrel so I was going to spend around $450. I'm just thinking I probably have a lot of options under that.

    wgat are your Gus thoughts on barrels with headspaced bolts? Worth it or no?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DGB View Post
    WOA 20" SAM-R barrel will do 1/2 with factory ammo (Hornady) at 100. It will also get me to 1000, but not 1 MOA, I'm sure that's shooter plus wind plus 5.56. I like to tell myself it's mostly wind and caliber and I'm good with that.
    Yeah I have no intention of trying to push the .223 to 1000. I already have a .308/6.5CM/338LM for those distances and beyond.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,835
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrofish View Post
    Thanks. As far as price it doesn't really matter. I was going to pick up a noveske barrel so I was going to spend around $450. I'm just thinking I probably have a lot of options under that.

    wgat are your Gus thoughts on barrels with headspaced bolts? Worth it or no?
    I cannot recommend current Noveske uppers or barrels. When John was alive, absolutely but their QA/QC is not the same as it was and they are still charging the same prices. For those prices you can easily get a Kreiger custom turned for you or for ~$250 you can get a Lothar Walther barrel.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-13-18 at 12:58.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mid-West, USA
    Posts
    1,181
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Look up Eurodriver's thread on his build using a Kreiger barrel. It's pretty amazing

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    903
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    WOA or Compass lake engineering are worth checking out. Depending on budget Compass lake has criterion, Douglass, Krieger, and Bartlein blanks to choose from. Lots of good feedback
    This ^^^^

    Both companies make really nice SPR barrels. I have a WOA SS SPR barrel on my Mk12 Mod 0 and it has been superb. I have one of the CLE Douglas SS Recon barrels on one of my ARs and the accuracy is stellar. You cannot go wrong with either company.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

    USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004
    Oath Keeper member
    III% United Patriots member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •