Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressed SBR is no longer reliable.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Will do, Thank you.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    An LMT-E carrier is on my list, as well as the BCM A5 kit +extra A5 buffers.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Lastly, avoid adjustable carriers
    Why this?
    Fwiw, recently got a gemtech adj carrier, runs as adverised, 13.5 Centurion barrel suppressed.
    Thx.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Suppressed SBR is no longer reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    Why this?
    Fwiw, recently got a gemtech adj carrier, runs as adverised, 13.5 Centurion barrel suppressed.
    Thx.
    I've seen several fail. As in 4. Personally. And the only one that hasn't has literally never been toggled from the suppressed setting in a lightly used gun with an Omega 30 (a low backpressure can).

I'm a fan of gemtech, but I prefer to regulate high pressure gas at the gas block instead of stopping up an inherently poorly-sealed gas system. The gas tube to carrier key interface forms a really leaky manifold. Perfectly acceptable as the design compensates for this in terms of gas volume. But emplacing a significant downstream restriction like an orifice inside the key/carrier causes LOTS of leaking around the gas tube/carrier key interface. And I'm not really confident that it's a good thing for the gas tube in the long run.

I can give more info via PM. Not here to trash anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 01-15-18 at 17:50.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sevin8nin View Post

...when I introduced a suppressor...I started experiencing BoB malfs...
    Your extractor spring is weak. Replace it with with either a Colt or Sprinco M4 extractor spring. Don't use an O ring.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    K- thanks.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Your extractor spring is weak. Replace it with with either a Colt or Sprinco M4 extractor spring. Don't use an O ring.
    Why? It appears to me in that photo that the fired round has been extracted and ejected.. but I may not be seeing the end of the empty brass in the chamber??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Because if the AR was short stroking, the bolt would not push the round up out of the mag.

In addition, the bolt has ridden up over the base. This is caused by something blocking the fresh round from feeding into the chamber. The only object that could have blocked feeding is the empty case. The only way the empty could block feeding is if the extractor lost control of it.

Sometimes, when the extractor loses control of the case, it blocks feeding but gets knocked out of the action, giving the appearance of having been ejected.

Two things will keep an empty from being ejected. One, is the extractor losing control. Two, weak ejection. In this case, it could be the ejector, but a bad ejector usually results in a stovepipe. Added to that is the fact that AR extractors usually go tango uniform before ejectors do.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-15-18 at 22:39.

I am American

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Because if the AR was short stroking, the bolt would not push the round up out of the mag.

In addition, the bolt has ridden up over the base. This is caused by something blocking the fresh round from feeding into the chamber. The only object that could have blocked feeding is the empty case. The only way the empty could block feeding is if the extractor lost control of it.

Sometimes, when the extractor loses control of the case, it blocks feeding but gets knocked out of the action, giving the appearance of having been ejected.

Two things will keep an empty from being ejected. One, is the extractor losing control. Two, weak ejection. In this case, it could be the ejector, but a bad ejector usually results in a stovepipe. Added to that is the fact that AR extractor usually go tango uniform before ejectors do.
    What about a weak mag spring, not getting the new round up soon enough for the bolt to catch it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    What about a weak mag spring, not getting the new round up soon enough for the bolt to catch it?
    I'm uncertain because I haven't run into that problem with an AR yet.

But to speculate-
    - If the cartridge does not rise up soon enough, the bolt will not catch the rim. If the bolt does not catch the rim of the cartridge, it won't push it up and out of the magazine.
    - On the other hand, a weak spring can let a cartridge fall out of position. The cartridge can go nose up or nose down. If the cartridge goes nose up, feeding would be blocked and result in a bolt over. I suppose the same could happen if the cartridge goes nose down and bounces up again from the violence of the carrier smacking it around.

In speculation, I can see your point about a weak magazine spring.

I am American

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast