Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressed SBR is no longer reliable.

Feedback Score
    The carrier can also catch the rim, if the bolt misses it. This leads to something like the picture

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Update: 1/28/18

Took the rifle out today.

Un-suppressed shooting Federal XM193, and Hornady Black 5.56 62gr ammo: H2 buffer, BCM extractor upgrade, gun functions perfectly, bolt locks back after every round, ejection kicks brass out at 3 o' clock. With the H3 buffer all of the above is still true, but ejection is slightly weaker, but still lands at about 3 o' clock.

Suppressed: H3 buffer/BCM extractor. Got excited that the issues may be resolved and i grabbed the wrong magazine loaded w/Federal XM193 55gr, first round fired and ejected fine. Second round blew a primer, and the extractor ripped the rim off the case which is now stuck in the chamber. DAMNIT!

Ordered an LMT-E full auto carrier, now to go get some rods and try to pound the stuck case out of the chamber from the muzzle side.

Getting to the point that im not sure a suppressor is worth taking out of the safe anymore.
    Last edited by Grip; 01-28-18 at 13:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dude, you need an adjustable gas block. It really is the "easy button" solution to your issue.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Once again, I will reiterate. I believe your issue is the ammo. Get a 5.56 ruptured case extractor and try that first. https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod23311.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Grip View Post
    Update: 1/28/18

Took the rifle out today.

Un-suppressed shooting Federal XM193, and Hornady Black 5.56 62gr ammo: H2 buffer, BCM extractor upgrade, gun functions perfectly, bolt locks back after every round, ejection kicks brass out at 3 o' clock. With the H3 buffer all of the above is still true, but ejection is slightly weaker, but still lands at about 3 o' clock.

Suppressed: H3 buffer/BCM extractor. Got excited that the issues may be resolved and i grabbed the wrong magazine loaded w/Federal XM193 55gr, first round fired and ejected fine. Second round blew a primer, and the extractor ripped the rim off the case which is now stuck in the chamber. DAMNIT!

Ordered an LMT-E full auto carrier, now to go get some rods and try to pound the stuck case out of the chamber from the muzzle side.

Getting to the point that im not sure a suppressor is worth taking out of the safe anymore.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    An LMT-E carrier is on my list, as well as the BCM A5 kit +extra A5 buffers.
    Try the A5 system, that may be your silver bullet. I run both A5 and LMT E in all my guns, but its pricy. Like Guns said, you may have some super hot ammo with a tight chamber.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-28-18 at 18:30.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Once again, I will reiterate. I believe your issue is the ammo. Get a 5.56 ruptured case extractor and try that first. https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod23311.aspx
    I know, i picked up quality ammo to test with, but i became excited and made a mistake at the wrong time.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Try the A5 system, that may be your silver bullet. I run both A5 and LMT E in all my guns, but its pricy. Like Guns said, you may have some super hot ammo with a tight chamber.

PB
    Though hot ammo is likely the issue, I think PB has the point.

Both the A5 system with the LMT e-carrier, and the tight chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

However, if you want to look ahead, you could remove the gas block and check gas port diameter. A barrel that has the right diameter for unsuppressed use is usually over-gassed for use with a suppressor.

A good way to fix that problem using your existing gas block is to get the BRT Micro Port kit.

Popped primers are sometimes a sign of early extraction caused by over-gassing combined with a weak extractor.
    ^^ This seems the most likely root cause and solution, while any overly hot ammo will exacerbate the problem.

-story time-

A long time ago, in a workshop not so far away, we worked on a severely overgassed 16" middy with a .223 Wylde chamber.

It was 50% overgassed with a .093" port.

Yes, the maker put a rifle port in a middy barrel, even though everybody knows middys should have a .076" port. ;-)

Interestingly, suppressors can also add up to 50% extra gas drive, depending on a bunch of things.

Anyhow, it would only run with mild 223 ppu ammo.

It happened to have an upgraded extractor spring from the get go.

It would rip the soft rims off wolf steel case, leaving a suck case with a missing chunck of rim.

It would mangle the brass rim and blow every other primer out of federal XM193, which would of course work their way down into the FCG and lock up the whole works.

No amount of heavy buffers or springs could tame it.

But a prototype gas port insert worked and allowed it to run any ammo without worry.

That barrel still runs nicely today ( although it wears an intermediate gas system now ).
    Last edited by Clint; 01-29-18 at 07:34.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Just asking, I'm here to learn

If excessive gas is the root cause why wouldn't a adjustable gas block be the solution?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    My suppressed SBR is no longer reliable.

SilencerCo Saker 556
    13.7" Noveske barrel, mid length gas system
    Noveske gas block pinned (non adjustable)
    UCWRG BCG
    BCM extractor upgrade (just installed, unfired)
    H2 buffer
    SpringCo Blue spring

Using strictly Federal XM193 55gr 5.56

The gun runs flawlessly without the suppressor. With the suppressor i was getting failures to extract (reasoning for the BCM extractor upgrade), the rifle also would double feed forming the 2nd round it picked up into a taco by bending the case to the point it was unusable (this most likely was the extractor failing to do its job, and the carrier trying to feed a new round into the failure that had previously happened) this happens 2-3 times per magazine.

1-2 times in the last 400rnds fired while suppressed i have blown primers out of the case, the result was a locked up trigger, and a locked up bcg.

Id rather not change more than one thing at a time. My first change is the BCM extractor upgrade kit.

What else should i pickup before next weekend when i head out into the desert to spend some time getting this rifle to run reliably suppressed? I have read that the BCM A5 buffer system may be worth acquiring. I have also looked into the SLR .750 adjustable gas blocks, but i would prefer to keep my gas block pinned if possible.

I have started researching adjustable bolt carriers, but i am undecided on taking that path.

I have an H buffer, and a standard BCM mil-spec buffer/recoil spring so far to take out with me next time.

Thank you for any help or input.
    I posted my shooting results in the other 13.7 middy thread, but not sure if you saw it. I failed to mention that I'm also running an LMT Enhance carrier and bolt, and the Sprinco Green and A5H2 buffer are housed in an LMT rifle length tube. There are no adjustable gas regulation systems in the carbine.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast