Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressed SBR is no longer reliable.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Suppressed SBR is no longer reliable.

My suppressed SBR is no longer reliable.

SilencerCo Saker 556
    13.7" Noveske barrel, mid length gas system
    Noveske gas block pinned (non adjustable)
    UCWRG BCG
    BCM extractor upgrade (just installed, unfired)
    H2 buffer
    SpringCo Blue spring

Using strictly Federal XM193 55gr 5.56

The gun runs flawlessly without the suppressor. With the suppressor i was getting failures to extract (reasoning for the BCM extractor upgrade), the rifle also would double feed forming the 2nd round it picked up into a taco by bending the case to the point it was unusable (this most likely was the extractor failing to do its job, and the carrier trying to feed a new round into the failure that had previously happened) this happens 2-3 times per magazine.

1-2 times in the last 400rnds fired while suppressed i have blown primers out of the case, the result was a locked up trigger, and a locked up bcg.

Id rather not change more than one thing at a time. My first change is the BCM extractor upgrade kit.

What else should i pickup before next weekend when i head out into the desert to spend some time getting this rifle to run reliably suppressed? I have read that the BCM A5 buffer system may be worth acquiring. I have also looked into the SLR .750 adjustable gas blocks, but i would prefer to keep my gas block pinned if possible.

I have started researching adjustable bolt carriers, but i am undecided on taking that path.

I have an H buffer, and a standard BCM mil-spec buffer/recoil spring so far to take out with me next time.

Thank you for any help or input.
    Last edited by Grip; 01-15-18 at 10:13.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    It the gun was reliable previously, then determining what has changed would be the priority.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Adding the suppressor is what changed.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Then there’s your culprit. Take your H buffer and turn your H2 into a H3 and see how the gun performs. Often, a heavier buffer is all that’s needed to run reliably with a can.

Also, the A5 system is a worthwhile consideration, IMHO

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grip View Post
    Adding the suppressor is what changed.
    Keep the sprinco blue. Either step up to a PWS H3 buffer as a stop gap measure, or transition to the A5 system with at LEAST an A5H3 buffer and sprinco green spring. You can still step up to an A5H4 from there.

Lastly, avoid adjustable carriers and consider grabbing an LMT enhanced carrier.

Easy first step is the PWS steel body H3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Lastly, avoid adjustable carriers
    Why this?
    Fwiw, recently got a gemtech adj carrier, runs as adverised, 13.5 Centurion barrel suppressed.
    Thx.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Suppressed SBR is no longer reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    Why this?
    Fwiw, recently got a gemtech adj carrier, runs as adverised, 13.5 Centurion barrel suppressed.
    Thx.
    I've seen several fail. As in 4. Personally. And the only one that hasn't has literally never been toggled from the suppressed setting in a lightly used gun with an Omega 30 (a low backpressure can).

I'm a fan of gemtech, but I prefer to regulate high pressure gas at the gas block instead of stopping up an inherently poorly-sealed gas system. The gas tube to carrier key interface forms a really leaky manifold. Perfectly acceptable as the design compensates for this in terms of gas volume. But emplacing a significant downstream restriction like an orifice inside the key/carrier causes LOTS of leaking around the gas tube/carrier key interface. And I'm not really confident that it's a good thing for the gas tube in the long run.

I can give more info via PM. Not here to trash anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 01-15-18 at 17:50.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grip View Post
    My suppressed SBR is no longer reliable.

SilencerCo Saker 556
    13.7" Noveske barrel, mid length gas system
    Noveske gas block pinned (non adjustable)
    UCWRG BCG
    BCM extractor upgrade (just installed, unfired)
    H2 buffer
    SpringCo Blue spring

Using strictly XM193 55gr

The gun runs flawlessly without the suppressor. With the suppressor i was getting failures to extract (reasoning for the BCM extractor upgrade), the rifle also would double feed forming the 2nd round it picked up into a taco by bending the case to the point it was unusable (this may have also been the extractor failing to do its job, and the carrier trying to feed a new round into the failure that had previously happened) this happens 2-3 times per magazine.

1-2 times in the last 400rnds fired while suppressed i have blown primers out of the case, the result was a locked up trigger, and a locked up bcg.

Id rather not change more than one thing at a time. My first change is the BCM extractor upgrade kit.

What else should i pickup before next weekend when i head out into the desert to spend some time getting this rifle to run reliably suppressed? I have read that the BCM A5 buffer system may be worth acquiring. I have also looked into the SLR .750 adjustable gas blocks, but i would prefer to keep my gas block pinned if possible.

I have started researching adjustable bolt carriers, but i am undecided on taking that path.

I have an H buffer, and a standard BCM mil-spec buffer/recoil spring so far to take out with me next time.

Thank you for any help or input.
    You'll need to shoot the rifle to verify the extractor spring upgrade kit fixed your problem.

However, if you want to look ahead, you could remove the gas block and check gas port diameter. A barrel that has the right diameter for unsuppressed use is usually over-gassed for use with a suppressor. A good way to fix that problem using your existing gas block is to get the BRT Micro Port kit. Popped primers are sometimes a sign of early extraction caused by over-gassing combined with a weak extractor.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-14-18 at 19:59.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    First thing is first. You aren't experiencing a "double feed". You had a failure to extract which led to a failure to feed. The blown primers should be a cause for concern. You either have some bad ammo, or a potential chamber issue. A tight or out of spec chamber can lead to chamber pressure problems which accounts for the primers and the failure to extract.

First thing I would do is get some non crappy Federal XM193 ammo and see if you get the same results. If you do, then I would start looking at a potential chamber issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if that Noveske has a massive blowhole and I would be curious to know what it is. I would probably go ahead and get an H3 buffer as well.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    First thing is first. You aren't experiencing a "double feed". You had a failure to extract which led to a failure to feed. The blown primers should be a cause for concern. You either have some bad ammo, or a potential chamber issue. A tight or out of spec chamber can lead to chamber pressure problems which accounts for the primers and the failure to extract.

First thing I would do is get some non crappy Federal XM193 ammo and see if you get the same results. If you do, then I would start looking at a potential chamber issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if that Noveske has a massive blowhole and I would be curious to know what it is. I would probably go ahead and get an H3 buffer as well.
    I thought I explained my double feed theory well, it wasn't really a double feed I just didn't know what else to call it. I will see if the BCM extractor upgrade fixes the extraction issue.

Are you saying to get something else besides Federal xm193? or specifically shoot Federal xm193? I only have/shoot Federal XM193 55gr ammo.

I will bring an H3 buffer with me and see how that goes this weekend.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast