Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATF's "Forward Observer" rifle...

Feedback Score

ATF's "Forward Observer" rifle...

ATF wants a new precision rifle with the below specs. Anything off-the-shelf come close?:

Specifications for thirty five (35) each ATF Forward Observer replacement weapons:

The desired weapon will be an ArmaLite (AR) style platform to replace the aging AR10 weapons that we currently have.
    The following specifications are required and MUST be met or exceeded:

7.62X51 semi-automatic rifle system with a 16 inch 1:10” twist match grade barrel with full billet upper and lower Weight and length requirements:

Without suppressor and empty magazine – not to weigh over 8 lbs. 8 oz.

With suppressor attached and empty magazine – not to weigh over 9 lbs. 12 oz.

Without suppressor attached – Overall All Length (OAL) cannot exceed 34 3/4” stock collapsed or 37 3/8” stock fully extended

With suppressor attached – OAL cannot exceed 38 7/8” stock collapsed or 41 3/8” stock fully extended

Flat Dark Earth (FDE) colored Cerakote-type coating over Mil-Spec hard anodized upper and lower receivers; also stocks, fore grips

Full rifle-length gas system

Low-profile gas block

Mil-Spec Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI) Bolt Carrier Group with NP3 coating

Magpul CTR Butt Stock

AR style pistol grip

Barrel length M-lock fore grips

Geissele SSA-E trigger group (specified trigger assembly because this is the current trigger we have installed on AR-10s and this is a continuity-of-training issue)

Qty., 20-round polymer/metal lipped magazines

Weapon must have sustained sub minute-of-angle (MOA) accuracy with agency specified ammo (Vista/Federal 168 grain Gold Medal Match BTHP and Vista Federal 168 Grain Tactical Bonded)

Operators manual

Lifetime Limited Warranty on weapons

Each rifle will have a 7.62X51 Sound Suppressor included with the below specifications: • Attached via a rapid-thread muzzle brake, FDE colored Cerakote-type coating applied • Weight cannot exceed 1 lb. 2 oz. • OAL cannot exceed 6 1/4” Soft nylon carrying case

FAR Clause 52.209-4 First article testing “may” be requested by ATF to verify ALL of the above specifications are met. If implemented: One rifle MUST be sent to ATF within seven (7) days of the request. Shipping will be paid by the vendor. Delivery date of TOTAL order thirty five (35 Rifles). Initial delivery of twenty (20 Rifles) MUST be delivered, no later than 8/1/2019 . The remaining fifteen (15 Rifles) will be set up as an Option. The Government will have the right to procure an additional (15 Rifles) within a 12 month period.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=1
    Last edited by Slater; 05-03-19 at 18:59.

Feedback Score
    Of course the ATF would specify a billet upper.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-03-19 at 19:27.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sounds like a Knights SR-25 with a G trigger... not that I'd like them to have anything that nice.

Feedback Score
    Interesting that they're sticking with 7.62x51 when the new, most bestest round seems to be 6.5 Creedmore.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Why FDE?
    Why 6.25” silencer?
    Why a CTR on what is clearly a sniping rifle?

And they misspelled M-Lok.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Why FDE?
    Why 6.25” silencer?
    Why a CTR on what is clearly a sniping rifle?

And they misspelled M-Lok.
    #LARP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    These length specs are strange. 34.75” with a collapsed CTR. 38 7/8” with a suppressor. Max. I just measured a 16” 5.56 rifle with CTR and FCD 6315 flash suppressor (A2 length). I got 32.5. So that would give them a 16” barrel in 7.62 within their OAL req, depending on manufacturer, and silencer mount. But they only allow 4” additional length for a up to 6.25” silencer.

Another thing is, they specify MOA precision, but don’t specify a testing method. Are we talking 1 round, at .3 MOA? 3rnds? 30 rounds in 3 10 rnd groups? Am I the only one that feels this solicitation was written by a very inexperienced loggie?
    Last edited by 1168; 05-05-19 at 07:28. Reason: Reading comprehension

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Why? What "need" does the ATF have for a "forward observer" rifle?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This thread is about semi-automatic precision rifle selection, in a technical sub-forum. If you're looking for Ruby Ridge, Horiuchi, Waco, Fast-N-Furious, and any other BATFE related commentaries or axes to grind, you will find those in the many past threads or on other discussion forums.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I hope it's subcontracted to Hi-Point.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast