Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking current thoughts on 70gr GMX

Feedback Score

Seeking current thoughts on 70gr GMX

I seem to recall one or more threads a few years back indicating that the 70 grain GMX bullet was prone to shedding petals against some types of target(auto windshield glass, game animals IIRC), problem which did not/does not supposedly afflict the 55gr version. Have done several searches, but can't find said thread/s. Am curious about anyone's recent (say last two years) experience with the 70 gr GMX and whether that bullet is or isn't displaying that tendency.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dang, I was hoping this thread would take off, I've been intrigued by this load for a while. I bought some, but haven't fired any at all.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I shot a couple of (Whitetail) does at the ranch a month+ ago with BH 5.56 70 gr. GMX.
    The apparent terminal performance was impressive; neither went more than 20 yds after the shot. I did not bother retrieving the bullet, so can't comment on "petals shearing off".

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I shot a couple of (Whitetail) does at the ranch a month+ ago with BH 5.56 70 gr. GMX.
    The apparent terminal performance was impressive; neither went more than 20 yds after the shot. I did not bother retrieving the bullet, so can't comment on "petals shearing off".
    Thanks. Like Brett, I’m following this thread closely.

Feedback Score
    I have 300rds of the BH 5.56 loading. Cost an arm and a leg. Haven't shot anything with it though, so also following this thread closely.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I see ABNAK & gaijin bought BH, do you guys see it as a better choice than the Hornady TAP load?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I went with BHs simply due to it being a known quantity.
    Have always had good luck with BHs.
    I would give the Hornady a try too.
    They produce some good ammo and components.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, pretty much the same reason as gaijin. BH is known for quality and I didn't see the Hornady loading available at the time.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have taken several FL hogs with 70gr GMX TAP from my 11.5" suppressed rig. Outstanding round. Not a significantly different result on sub-200lb FL hog from my Tikka T3 .308 firing Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 165gr. I've killed enough animals with it that I don't give a flying F**k how many petals it sheds; it creates violent, deep wound channels and stops game extremely well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I have taken several FL hogs with 70gr GMX TAP from my 11.5" suppressed rig. Outstanding round. Not a significantly different result on sub-200lb FL hog from my Tikka T3 .308 firing Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 165gr. I've killed enough animals with it that I don't give a flying F**k how many petals it sheds; it creates violent, deep wound channels and stops game extremely well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Buford, thanks much. The round's use through a 16", 18", or 20" barrel is of most interest to me. Have you had an opportunity to use it through those length barrels and, if so, what results did you observe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast