Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bbl twist rates

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hercules
    How well does the Horn. TAP 75 shoot from a 1/9 verses the 60 gr TAP?

herk
    All the TAP line is excellent IMHO. You COULD shoot 75gr in a 1/9, but I don't think you would get any kind of accuracy out of it. It is also possible that it won't agree (fit) with your barrel.

C4

Feedback Score

re: twist rates

KGJ - The accuracy I get from a barrel depends as much on the length of the projectile as its weight, the ogive of the bullet, the quality of the barrel and the "jump" from the cartridge case mouth to the rifling.

While you could shoot 55g projectiles all day long out of a 1/12 twist barrel, you would be understabilizing 69 grain and longer/heavier bullets, which is bad. Similarly, 1 in 9 is too slow for the really long 80g bullets people shoot at 600 yards, I'm told.

On the other hand, you have to get pretty extreme to see a negative effect from "over stabilizing",as it were, with fast twists. An example of too fast a twist might be shooting 40 grain lightly jacketed varmint bullets with max velocity loads out of a 24" 1/7 twist barrel - in that case the light jacket could actually fragment in midair.

I use two 1/8 twist .223 ARs to compete in NRA service rifle class, and both will shoot 52 grain flat base Sierra Match Kings into very small groups off a bench. So there's a light bullet with a relatively fast twist - no problem. Both rifles have premium quality barrels - and I think that is a very important factor.

best regards to all

Tim

PS Hi Grant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12