Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Leap scope mount from Scalarworks - QD 7075-T6, 5.46oz

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    Thanks for the reply and information.

Scalarworks; does your torque spec take into account the Nylok thread locker you include on the screws?
    Yes, absolutely. The Nylok patch does not act like a lubricant and will technically have an increased torque value over a plain fastener.

However, in this case, the desired axial load is more than enough to overcome the Nylok Patch and still achieve the proper seating of the fastener, so we did not add any torque to our recommended 25in*lbs.

We're very comfortable with our recommended torque spec, but if anyone isn't then please use whatever torque value (up to 25in*lbs) that you want. The worst that will happen is that your scope will slip in the rings, at which point you'll know for certain that you need to fasten them tighter.
    SCALARWORKS - SHOOTER DRIVEN®
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scalarworks.com / 1-844-556-1913 (900-1700 EST)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalarworks View Post
    Yes, absolutely. The Nylok patch does not act like a lubricant and will technically have an increased torque value over a plain fastener.

However, in this case, the desired axial load is more than enough to overcome the Nylok Patch and still achieve the proper seating of the fastener, so we did not add any torque to our recommended 25in*lbs.

We're very comfortable with our recommended torque spec, but if anyone isn't then please use whatever torque value (up to 25in*lbs) that you want. The worst that will happen is that your scope will slip in the rings, at which point you'll know for certain that you need to fasten them tighter.
    @vortex and scalarworks - what about using a "grip enhancing" solvent resistant, low tack adhesive just under the scope rings? Thereby reducing the amount of torque required to grip the scope tube?

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

Look forward to the follow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So I lied and it turns out we don't have one of those mounts here yet. Currently buying one as we speak so we can get it in to run through our testing that we've done on mounts and rings before - we do our best to try out every option on the market, but that's not always easy to do with so many out there.

In the meantime, we'll also wait to see what happens when we get that scope back as that will be the true determining factor as to where the issue resides. Clearly it sounds like the folks over at Scalarworks have tested this themselves, and with our scope, too, so we're inclined to take their word for their torque value, but it still oddly seems a bit high. Especially considering the fact that the contact patch is greater on those rings - while it remains true that it should disperse the load from the rings better over a larger contact patch, if it's machined as well as it looks to be machined, that would also be reason to believe it wouldn't need to be torqued extremely tight. For example, in our precision matched rings and our precision cantilever mounts, we've withstood 50 BMG recoil consistently without any slipping down to 13 inch pounds, just because the contact patch around the scope is so consistent from the machining quality. Likewise with the Geissele Razor-specific mounts we've tried. Everything we've heard about the Scalarworks mount implies it's on this same level of quality if not better.

Testing on our end will take some time and will be good for future reference. Meanwhile, any potential issue with the scope will be resolved quickly.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Here’s an update for those interested.

Vortex indicated after tests, that the Razor I had issues with was defective from the factory.

As part of their due diligence, they did coordinate with Scalarworks about their torque values going so far as buying a Scalarworks mount to test themselves. Vortex’s testing of the mount did not show any issues at the Scalarworks recommended 25 in/lbs. Vortex sent me test targets validating their recommend spec of 18 vs Scalarworks 25. Still, I only ended torquing my new scope to about 20.

I do want to thank Vortex and Scalarworks for getting to the bottom of it. Vortex especially went out of their way to take care of the issue. VortexOptics Rep on here and the Vortex rep for my LGS where I bought the scope were great and got me taken care of. Thank you all.

BTW, back to the main point of this thread, I love the Scalarworks mount.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Vortex indicated after tests, that the Razor I had issues with was defective from the factory.

As part of their due diligence, they did coordinate with Scalarworks about their torque values going so far as buying a Scalarworks mount to test themselves. Vortex’s testing of the mount did not show any issues at the Scalarworks recommended 25 in/lbs. Vortex sent me test targets validating their recommend spec of 18 vs Scalarworks 25. Still, I only ended torquing my new scope to about 20.

I do want to thank Vortex and Scalarworks for getting to the bottom of it. Vortex especially went out of their way to take care of the issue. VortexOptics Rep on here and the Vortex rep for my LGS where I bought the scope were great and got me taken care of. Thank you all.

That's good to hear. I have several products from both companies so its nice to see that despite Scalarworks higher torque value and the fact that Vortex sells their own mounts, it wasn't just immediately dismissed. I'm not sure if all companies would do the same.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Right on pomyc! Glad they're working together on this and your situation has been solved. This makes me more excited for a Scalarworks mount when they are available again lol(yep, on that email waitlist lol).

As far as Vortex goes, they were on my shortlist of LPVO's to try out(I had previously played with a Sparc about 10 years ago and did like it), and if it weren't for me wanting a FFP optic and finding a great deal on Leupold mk6, I probably would've gone for the Razor II E due to the praise I've read about on here.
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Glad it all worked out and thank you for the follow up post. Vortex is a stand-up company from top to bottom.
    SCALARWORKS - SHOOTER DRIVEN®
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scalarworks.com / 1-844-556-1913 (900-1700 EST)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I ordered a LEAP from Grant a few weeks ago, and I’m saving up for a Razor E in MRAD. Every paycheck I put $100 aside, and I’ll have enough by early August. Yes, I’m a grown man with a piggybank lol.

Seeing the way these two companies communicated with each other, the customer, and others as well has solidified my decision. Excellent products and customer service. I can’t wait to put my LEAP to good use!

Feedback Score

Glad all is well now. You've got a properly functioning scope and now we have a super sweet Scalarworks mount to play with on our guns in the future

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A good read. I have a Razor Gen II E and a Scalarworks mount inbound, sounds like this is squared away.

BTW for those interested--SWFA was having an 11% off sale and free shipping this weekend, I got a pretty sweet price on a Scalaraworks mount (compared to the going rate of $399) and they still had a couple left in stock when I checked out.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast