Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leap scope mount from Scalarworks - QD 7075-T6, 5.46oz

Feedback Score
    True, instead it has a shit ton of clamping force.

I guess I’m not seeing a lot of point in this fascination everyone has with QD mounts or tool less removal. You are far far more likely to have issues with loose mounts affecting accuracy/repeatability than you are to need to remove a failed optic without tools. So I’m far more interested in the strongest mount I can get, with the most secure attachment possible for the money. Particularly when considering a mount for a heavy magnified optic.

If removal so you can swap between optics is your goal, a 1/2” open and closed end wrench can be had for not much, and takes up very little space in a range bag. Someone on here even cut one down stuck it in some packing foam and made it fit in the storage compartment of a Magpul grip.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    I took a look at that NF Unimount and it does not seem to have tool less removal like the Scalarworks does
    I guess I miss the fascination with 'tool-less removal'.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I guess these are available now, but at $400 I don't think they will sell well. Basically every single mount other than spuhr is less than their price.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    I guess these are available now, but at $400 I don't think they will sell well. Basically every single mount other than spuhr is less than their price.
    LOL they probably benchmarked GDI and gave themselves a pat on the back for being so much less...

https://www.gdiengineering.com/shop/...179?category=9
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    Yep. At least $50 overpriced. If they were $300 I would swap all my mounts. If they were $350 I would get one or two. At $400 I'm out.
    Last edited by themonk; 06-09-18 at 20:14.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    None of their stuff is cheap compared to competitors and they still regularly sell out. I considered grabbing one because Geissele is taking so damn long to ship mine. If only they had a 1.93” mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    As a scalarworks fan, I commend their design. The pricing is insulting.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    For a magnified optic, I don't think I would be purchasing one of these. When a scope goes on, it stays on. And offset sights go on the rifle. I don't think we will be seeing anywhere close to the clamping force as others. I know that's not the end all, be all. Thumb tight for a LPV or other mag scope, no thanks. Are there additional ring screws/bolts on the top side that we are not seeing? I wouldn't use vertically split rings on anything. Unless this is like ARC's system?
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    For a magnified optic, I don't think I would be purchasing one of these. When a scope goes on, it stays on. And offset sights go on the rifle. I don't think we will be seeing anywhere close to the clamping force as others. I know that's not the end all, be all. Thumb tight for a LPV or other mag scope, no thanks. Are there additional ring screws/bolts on the top side that we are not seeing? I wouldn't use vertically split rings on anything. Unless this is like ARC's system?
    https://scalarworks.com/shop/optic-m...p-scope-mount/

The rings seem to be similar the design ARC uses, except that they are hinged at the top instead of the sides like ARC rings. I'm curious if they will cause the same problems a vertically split rings:

The mount also has a built in leveling device, a screw that can be inserted from the bottom of the mount to contact the bottom of the scope's erector housing during mounting:

(Pics are from the Scalarworks webpage linked at the beginning of this post)

Still, at $400 they are IMO overpriced.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 06-09-18 at 23:11.

Feedback Score
    While I am enamored with the hinge design, the leveler gimmick is unnecessary and the price tag is too high to justify buying one.

If they were looking to add as many features as possible, which it looks like given the leveling screw, they would have been better off adding a bubble level, at least to the 34 mm version.

edit - comparing it to the ARC mount the 100 dollar premium does justify itself. It's less than half the weight of the ARC mount, yet, just going by how they both look, probably a hell of a lot stiffer. The amount of machining that goes into the Scalarworks vs the ARC explains the premium easily. Still quite a price tag though.
    Last edited by joffe; 06-10-18 at 05:28.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast