Is the faxon a 556 or 223wylde?
    Pencil or gunner?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    Is the faxon a 556 or 223wylde?
    Pencil or gunner?
    556 NATO, pencil
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    The Remington 700 Barrel is how long?
    20 inch barrel
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 21:40.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Afaik
    Thin profiles can have very good accuracy but are generally not good for sustained firing
    As they heat up and poi changes
    Some develop vertical stringing

Feedback Score
    I built an upper for my nephew using a melonited barrel that took a little over 300 rounds to settle in. This is the only one that took this many rounds to do so. I stripped the copper at 50, 150, then at 300 rds. After that it tightened right up. I was worried it would foul quick but it’s had another 500 69gr tmk’s through it and it hasn’t started opening up yet. I’ve built 6 of these for friends and family from the same barrel manufacturer(4150 cmv AR15Performance) and 1 other melonited Lothar Walther with good results. 3 of them are 1-8 twist rate and they shoot everything up to 77gr tmk’s well. I haven’t shot anything heavier. I’ve never used a Faxon barrel. Don’t give up on it yet.
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 01-27-18 at 20:15.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I installed a 16" Pencil barrel on a light weight build. Like yours the barrel looked beautiful but the accuracy was horrible. I thought it might have to do with the 2A T3 muzzle device but removing it didn't change anything. I tried LC XM193 ball - which has been great for what it is when shot through my 16" Recce light, 16" Colt 6920 and even my 10.5" CQB, as well as several other off the shelf brands and weights. No help. I expect variability in a pencil barrel but not as much as I've seen from this one. Hell, my Mini-14 shoots tighter groups. I haven't had time but I plan to work up a load and see if I can find the sweet spot for this barrel.
    Last edited by 556BlackRifle; 01-28-18 at 12:25.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    I installed a 16" Pencil barrel on a light weight build. Like yours the barrel looked beautiful but the accuracy was horrible. I thought it might have to do with the 2A T3 muzzle device but removing it didn't change anything. I tried LC XM193 ball - which has been great for what it is when shot through my 16" Recce light, 16" Colt 6920 and even my 10.5" CQB, as well as several other off the shelf brands and weights. No help. I expect variability in a pencil barrel but not as much as I've seen from this one. Hell, my Mini-14 shoots tighter groups. I haven't had time but I plan to work up a load and see if I can find the sweet spot for this barrel.
    How many rounds through the barrel? I'm wondering if it'll improve after a couple hundred rounds.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This doesn't look good for faxon
    Have you contacted them?

A
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Range report. This barrel continues to improve each week. I believe it might need 300 rounds to be good to go. I have no idea round count, but probably 150-200 rounds. Here are the results:
    We tried the XBR loaded Sierra 55gr Gamekjngs and they shot MOA once again.
    The Black hills TMK 69 grainers shot 2 inches, I was hopeful it would get better
    Markm's 69gr SMK house load shot 1.5 MOA, Hell Yes!
    Tried some Federal 62gr OTM 2.5 inches, oh well I tried
    Federal Tactical Bonded 62 grainers, complete shit show, 3 to 4 inches
    Hornady 60grain Varmint load, 1.5 MOA

Then we went back to the 77 gr Noslers, house load that shot 5 MOA, 1.5 MOA! You talk about being shocked, I have seen barrels tighten up but never 5 MOA to 1.5 MOA. I would also add it was windy as hell and we are using a 1-8 scope, not exactly an ideal set up. I would expect on a less windy day and better scope and these groups would tighten a bit.

Im going to take it for one more week then clean it and let it know it made the Team!

Pics to follow compliments of Markm.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-28-18 at 16:52.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast