Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Figuring out a new Faxon barrel

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good to hear the update but a bit of a let down to hear these require hundreds of rounds to "shoot in"

Pics of bench set up?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    Good to hear the update but a bit of a let down to hear these require hundreds of rounds to "shoot in"

Pics of bench set up?
    I wouldn't say that all of them need it. It's just that the nitride process creates a surface that is so hard that any imperfections can take a while to erode/smooth via shooting.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Glad you boys were successful PB.

That does seem a stretch- to go from 5 to 1.5 MOA just with "fire lapping" a bunch of rds.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Glad you boys were successful PB.

That does seem a stretch- to go from 5 to 1.5 MOA just with "fire lapping" a bunch of rds.
    Fire lapping, I like it. haha
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    How many rounds through the barrel? I'm wondering if it'll improve after a couple hundred rounds.
    Low compared with my usual but certainly enough. ~200. There shouldn't be any break in required IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    This doesn't look good for faxon
    Have you contacted them?

A
    No. But I will after I run some precision grade rounds through it.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Range report. This barrel continues to improve each week. I believe it might need 300 rounds to be good to go. I have no idea round count, but probably 150-200 rounds. Here are the results:
    We tried the XBR loaded Sierra 55gr Gamekjngs and they shot MOA once again.
    The Black hills TMK 69 grainers shot 2 inches, I was hopeful it would get better
    Markm's 69gr SMK house load shot 1.5 MOA, Hell Yes!
    Tried some Federal 62gr OTM 2.5 inches, oh well I tried
    Federal Tactical Bonded 62 grainers, complete shit show, 3 to 4 inches
    Hornady 60grain Varmint load, 1.5 MOA

Then we went back to the 77 gr Noslers, house load that shot 5 MOA, 1.5 MOA! You talk about being shocked, I have seen barrels tighten up but never 5 MOA to 1.5 MOA. I would also add it was windy as hell and we are using a 1-8 scope, not exactly an ideal set up. I would expect on a less windy day and better scope and these groups would tighten a bit.

Im going to take it for one more week then clean it and let it know it made the Team!

Pics to follow compliments of Markm.
    Thanks for the update PB. That's what I was hoping to hear.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The Faxon is on the gun in the front.

Some of the test ammo:

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Some of the results:

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks
    What's the verdict?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Im just going to rock this barrel. It might still yet improve. We really expect just about any barrel to shoot MOA these days, but this is one SKINNY barrel and shouldn't be surprised it is a little finicky. If it can shoot our 77 load 1.5 MOA, that is good enough to get any job done except a target contest which I have no interest.

It is a welcomed family edition. Shoots like a cream puff with the SLR block and balances / handles great. It is a nice rig. Hell next week, it might be .5 MOA gun

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast