G&R Tactical
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: I Need Help! (Advice for Out of Shape 40 Year Old)

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,344
    Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Has anybody tried the Keto diet?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CONUS
    Posts
    3,753
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My wife tried going on the keto diet a few months ago and found it unsustainable (for her).

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    3,072
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    There two issues to the sodas: yes, of course the calories, but worse is the sugar. In your attempt to wean go to diet. If you need caffeine, go to coffee or tea.

    Excellent job! You get there one choice at a time.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,799
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    My wife tried going on the keto diet a few months ago and found it unsustainable (for her).
    Essentially unsustainable for anyone, which means at some point, they will go back to their "normal" way of eating, and regain the weight. Statistically speaking, losing with weight is not the hard part, keeping it off is.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,255
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    Has anybody tried the Keto diet?
    With my amateur understanding of nutrition, I would forego the full on keto diet and focus on a low carb diet. I try to keep my total carb intake under 15%, some days it’s under 10%, but I base this off what my day entailed. With that said, 99% of these carbs come from vegetables. I am pretty much grain, sugar, and dairy free. Also timing of carbs are important. Many recommended some after workouts with a spike in insulin to move the glucose into the muscle for stored energy. Another recommendation is to have them later in the day because of the serotonin release which helps with sleep quality.
    Proudly blocked from Being Liberals Facebook page.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    37
    Feedback Score
    0
    I used to do personal training for years and I can tell you you quality of food intake is 70 percent of your effort.
    Walking running weight lifting yoga etc. All provide muscle strength, cardiovascular health and flexibility. These things we need to stay in good physical condition. In fact a good practice is one day or cardiovascular work, one day of muscle training or wwiehght lifting and one day is yoga (actually harder than most people think) for flexibility.

    Providing quality energy for the.body to perform is paramount. There are tons of quick weight loss fads /diets. All if not most are not sustainable and once you go back to your old eating habits you not only gain the old weight back you usually add more weight.

    1 pound if fat is 3500 calories so a 500 calorie deficit a day is reguired to begin to start losing. Reduce caloric intake by 250 increases exercise by 250 and it gives a good baseline to work with.

    Don't be discouraged as you also have to start waking up the body's metabolism engine. Yes it has gotten lazy.

    Also there will be times when you seem to be at stand still. Your body is taking the time to adjust to different activities and nutritional environment. Stay the course.

    Think of your body like a mechanical engine and what it needs to maintain top notch performance.

    A fad diet is like feeding the engine nitro. Yes lots of short term power but long term not healthy. Lol. Regular oil changes , quality gas and lubricants are required for long term performance.

    The ideal is not to be restrict to a focused food group. Rather moderation and gaining knowledge about what type of calories you are intaking.

    Usually all process foods have sugar added.

    Sugar and processed flours are empty calories . They don't provide nutritional value, don't require much digestion of your body to process and usually end up going to fat.

    Someone previously provided calculations on calorie intake. This is a good guideline to start with.

    You can break those calories up into four to six smallmeal plans for the day.


    Next start looking at getting your portions of proteins and vegatables and other healthier carbs into your plan.

    Long chain carbs( ie grains) Are un processed carbs that your body needs to break down to achieve its nutritional value , the best type.


    Sustained weight loss and maintenance is a life style change.

    You will be surprised at how much you will be eating of healthier opting to sustain calorie requirements


    Food producers have made it expensive to eat healthy.

    Every time you go to fast food place look at the people. It's a fat factory.

    My down fall is coffee with creamer and sugar and iced tea with sugar. Tons if empty calories . The calories from corn Syrup wheter in liquid or Solid form is no better than sugar.









    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sliver_back; 02-13-18 at 12:30.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    CONUS
    Posts
    3,753
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Essentially unsustainable for anyone, which means at some point, they will go back to their "normal" way of eating, and regain the weight. Statistically speaking, losing with weight is not the hard part, keeping it off is.
    That's my sentiment, Will. What also made it difficult was that we eat together as a family, so having one person on a special diet meant having to prep a different meal, or not eat what my son and I would eat. I didn't think that the keto diet was healthy for me to try, even though the results sounded attractive.

    I've found that the key is just to adjust what 'normal' eating means, and make incremental, healthy changes that can be sustained indefinitely. My wife wasn't doing it to lose weight; she's already pretty light at around 110 lbs, 5' 2" (and also strong/fit from rock climbing twice a week), but it did sound good to her to utilize fat as an energy source vs. carbs, so she wouldn't get hungry so often, and control her sugar cravings.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,799
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    That's my sentiment, Will. What also made it difficult was that we eat together as a family, so having one person on a special diet meant having to prep a different meal, or not eat what my son and I would eat. I didn't think that the keto diet was healthy for me to try, even though the results sounded attractive.

    I've found that the key is just to adjust what 'normal' eating means, and make incremental, healthy changes that can be sustained indefinitely. My wife wasn't doing it to lose weight; she's already pretty light at around 110 lbs, 5' 2" (and also strong/fit from rock climbing twice a week), but it did sound good to her to utilize fat as an energy source vs. carbs, so she wouldn't get hungry so often, and control her sugar cravings.
    If it does not pass the "can I eat this way for the rest of my life?" test, it's a loser long term in my view if permanent fat loss the goal.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've been eating Keto for about a year now. Lost 25 pounds; blood pressure is ideal; blood work is as it was in my 20's when I ran a lot. My body fat is at 12-13% (measured by calipers so take it for what it is worth). I'm feeling very good, don't get tired and sleep wonderfully.

    I'm not a Nazi about it so I don't think it is hard to keep eating this way as a way of life. I drink wine nightly, I drink Bourbon on occasion during the weekend and I oft steal a forkful (or two) of spaghetti from little-girl.

    The main reason I tried it was to get my blood pressure down. My HDL went up into the healthy range for the first time in about 25 years. I literally take shots of avocado oil at work; eat walnuts; drink olive oil; eat a LOT of cheese. Try to keep protein and meat in moderation.

    It works for me.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,799
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I've been eating Keto for about a year now. Lost 25 pounds; blood pressure is ideal; blood work is as it was in my 20's when I ran a lot. My body fat is at 12-13% (measured by calipers so take it for what it is worth). I'm feeling very good, don't get tired and sleep wonderfully.

    I'm not a Nazi about it so I don't think it is hard to keep eating this way as a way of life. I drink wine nightly, I drink Bourbon on occasion during the weekend and I oft steal a forkful (or two) of spaghetti from little-girl.

    The main reason I tried it was to get my blood pressure down. My HDL went up into the healthy range for the first time in about 25 years. I literally take shots of avocado oil at work; eat walnuts; drink olive oil; eat a LOT of cheese. Try to keep protein and meat in moderation.

    It works for me.
    Do you check to see if you're in ketosis? If what you're doing is working, labs all good, drive on. Very few will maintain such a diet long term, but I have known a few who did. There's no reason to go to that extreme to lose fat, and it may not be optimal health wise long term, but guess you'll have to see.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •