Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Does the 7N6 round in 5.44x.39 cause more damage than a .308??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    So, naturally, if I'm being attacked by a horde of propane tanks, I'll need Civil Defense ammo. If I'm being attacked by a rabid tree, I'll need 5.45mm.
    This made me laugh a lot. And don't forget to add 308 to that list in favor of Creedmoor. What are you going to do when that infidel attacks you and your family at 1200 yards? You certainly can't be lobbing a wimpy 308 in there! Referring to one of my hunting acquaintances who busts my nuts about shooting 'antiquated' 308. Our average shot at a hog is inside 100 yards, but I 'need' to upgrade to 6.5 apparently.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 02-19-18 at 14:36.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Interesting anecdotes. Do you have any buddies running 6.8, particularly with commercial, SAAMI spec ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    As to results in the field with hogs I can share my experiences of observing 5.45x39 from a guy that hog hunts with us. First hog always gets it in the head or neck doesn't matter what you use, but on runners lots of them go right on into the woods never recovered with both 5.56 and 5.45. Most all of us hunting thermal have tried it all. 5.56 just not enough damage to slow down the really big hogs with anything less than a head shot. 6.8 awesome light platform, but too $ for me to shot a lot. 7.62x39 light and plenty of punch and cheap kills em dead might prefer this over 308 a bit. 308 is still king in our core group. One guy still uses 5.56. 5.45 one guy used it briefly pretty much same problem as 5.56 on bigger hogs running. My buddy hit what I though was a perfect neck shot on the boar of the year a few weeks ago biggest I've ever laid eyes on a real beast well over 300. Hit him at about 40-50 yards, stumbled and fell on face jumped right back up none of the other shots connected once hog got up to speed. Went under fence no buzzards next day assume he is alive. I'll ask him what load he used I know it's some kind of hunting variant not sure which exactly. all these calibers can kill for sure, but to expect a 5.56 or 5.45x39 to drop them on par with a 308 has not been my observation. I've never seen a hog not dead right there with 308 head neck doesn't matter if it's FMJ, SP it's over like hitting a light switch. Had a few go 20 yards maybe if heart, lung or gut only hogs never recovered with 308 were just whiffs on total runners 20+mph. To that end I've butchered more than a few hogs with multiple 5.56 rounds in it, but it had been killed with my 308. As far as 5.45x39 goes not recovered any projectiles, but I know our one buddy abandoned it quickly over the course of 2016 summer just wasn't able to put the 'runners' down. Goodness sorry for typos not enough coffee on board yet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Interesting anecdotes. Do you have any buddies running 6.8, particularly with commercial, SAAMI spec ammo?
    One runs 6.8 whom I know very well and has fantastic results with it. He reloads to contain costs, but loves it. If memory serves he had fine results with some factory loads he just went to hand loading to get his cost down. For the niche of close range thermal hog/coyote hunting the 7.62x39 might be the best bang for buck, lightweight and punch rig out there given one has a rifle/mags that will eat the ammo. It's amazing how close you can get to wildlife at night the need to have a howitzer really goes down a lot with this application. Of course most people here are looking for other uses of their caliber than I am, but it's plenty accurate enough with a lot of thump to drop hogs way bigger than me even when accuracy suffers on running targets. I'm trying to remember the last time I squeezed off a shot over 100 yards it's been over a year for sure.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 02-21-18 at 10:30.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    One runs 6.8 whom I know very well and has fantastic results with it. He reloads to contain costs, but loves it. If memory serves he had fine results with some factory loads he just went to hand loading to get his cost down. For the niche of close range thermal hog/coyote hunting the 7.62x39 might be the best bang for buck, lightweight and punch rig out there given one has a rifle/mags that will eat the ammo. It's amazing how close you can get to wildlife at night the need to have a howitzer really goes down a lot with this application. Of course most people here are looking for other uses of their caliber than I am, but it's plenty accurate enough with a lot of thump to drop hogs way bigger than me even when accuracy suffers on running targets. I'm trying to remember the last time I squeezed off a shot over 100 yards it's been over a year for sure.
    Sounds like .300blk might be a good option for that use case.

Though pricey if you don't reload.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Sounds like .300blk might be a good option for that use case.

Though pricey if you don't reload.

Yea we have all tried 300 too darn expensive and we dont' have time to reload. The 7.62x39 is about .23c per round in bulk shipped even at the worst pricing.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 02-21-18 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yea we all tried BO too darn expensive and we dont' have time to reload. the 7.62x39 is about .23c per round in bulk shipped.
    What round are you hunting with? Surplus? Or something like a PDX1?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    What round are you hunting with? Surplus? Or something like a PDX1?

Wolf 125SP. On a busy night the ammo difference can be $45-50 b/t the two calibers on capable hunting rounds.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 02-21-18 at 10:57.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456