Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Browning Gets Serious--Launches TL-30 Safe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Browning Gets Serious--Launches TL-30 Safe

As many of you already know, that which we call "gun safe" is really not a safe but a "residential storage container." That's according to the testing standards laid out by the UL for such things.

The RSC rating is pretty basic and indicates that the safe will withstand at least five minutes of attack by one man using hand tools. That does not sound like much but that's actual working time on the safe. Taking a break to switch tools or go to the bathroom stops the clock until tools are actually employed against the safe again.

The RSC rating has recently been augmented by UL and now includes three levels of testing. The RSC 1 is the legacy rating. RSC 2 lengthens the attack time to ten minutes and adds a few more tools while the RSC 3 adds more tools but stays in that 10 minute working time.

https://www.ul.com/inside-ul/residen...eased-options/

Well, in a surprising move it seems Browning has decided to skip right over the RSC ratings and go right into TL territory with a new TL30 rated safe. TL is a "real" safe rating and is probably what you'll find in most supermarket offices and places like that. TL means the door is resistant to common hand tools and grinders and can withstand half an hour of total working time on the door.

There aren't too many choices for TL stuff on the gun safe market. American Security has some models and I think Brown Safe also does some TL stuff. Otherwise the choice, for those wanting maximum security, has been used and repurposed office safes.

I find it interesting that Browning has entered this market. I wonder if Liberty, etc will take note.

Here's the Browning info on the website:

http://www.browning.com/products/gun...ies/tl-30.html

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Interesting. I am in the market for another safe. I had been looking at AmSec but will check these out.

Thanks for the heads up.

Feedback Score
    Very impressive but for $8900 it should be.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Last edited by Tokarev; 02-07-18 at 05:25.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    One thing to keep in mind is that a TL-30 rating in a gun safe sized box will weigh over 4,000 lbs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that a TL-30 rating in a gun safe sized box will weigh over 4,000 lbs.
    This new Browning weighs 3,100 pounds. You're not putting that in the upstairs closet...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here are a few photos of the new safe. These were sent by a local Browning dealer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One thing I note that's odd. At one point they list the body as .25" yet it shows here it is 11 gauge.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    Very impressive but for $8900 it should be.
    Sweet baby Harambe, that's about four grand over what I was going to spend on the AmSec.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Sweet baby Harambe, that's about four grand over what I was going to spend on the AmSec.
    My local dealer quoted me a price that's about $1500 below the listed retail. Still expensive but arguably tougher than anything built as an RSC.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast