Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Browning Gets Serious--Launches TL-30 Safe

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 21:03.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    ...do I really need more than a Liberty USA series residential security container?
    Maybe.

There are plenty of examples out there on the 'net where inexpensive gun safes have been torn or chopped open. It seems a common trend is to ignore the door and attack the thin 12g bodies on these inexpensive safes.

The UL has gotten a bit of a black eye over the whole RSC rating since all those Chinese safes on YouTube getting pried open in mere minutes are all RSC listed. Hence the new RSC II and III ratings.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So if all I care about are some young men kicking in my front door and grabbing my guns while no one is home, and ensuring no children in my home have access without supervision, do I really need more than a Liberty USA series residential security container? I don't care about fire protection, that's what insurance is for.

Andy

P.S. Recent break-in/theft activity in my area has prompted me to get off my butt and buy a safe.
    I would consider myself fairly mechanically inclined and would estimate ~15 mins with an angle grinder and some abrasives to get through a RSC the first time, less if I've done it before. If you have an alarm system and PD response times to a "burglar alarm" in your area are less than that, then yes, it would be good enough. Keep in mind that in many areas that use a priority dispatching system these types of alarms are not going to be handled as a priority. Last time i looked there were RSC's that were the same thickness as a stack on cabinet, at several times the price.

Something else to keep in mind is that they can't take what they can't find, so an alarm, with a RSC that is somewhat hidden, will buy you some more time. Asking the PD about their response times is generally not a good idea. I am also gong to assume that you've checked on the insurance coverage for firearms lost to fire as most homeowners policies have stupidly low limits on firearms without an additional rider.
    nothing screams napoleonic warfare more than cannons roaring in the background

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't know if I agree with this fellow's message. "My flimsy cabinet offers the same low security as a cheap gunsafe."

What he does do is help illustrate just how thin the body is on a 12g safe.

Last edited by Tokarev; 02-22-18 at 05:58.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 21:02.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    At this moment, the only place I can put a safe is in my garage (high humidity, live in south east) or in my laundry room. House is built on a slab, safe would be anchored to concrete floor and have walls on rear and one side.

I am actually considering buying a Sturdy safe and spray painting it appliance white so it looks (at a glance) like the upright freezer in the laundry room now. Of course, Sturdy safes are not cheap.

Andy
    You might want to check out the M2 and M3 line from Ft Knox. These aren't shown on the Ft Knox website but there is some info on cesafes.com and westcoastsafes.com

These are dealer exclusive models and are more "old school." Built with heavier steel and plate door. These should, on paper at least, offer better security than some other options. Price is generally good too considering the name, etc.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345