Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shorter Adjustable LOP Options to Magpul PRS?

Feedback Score

Shorter Adjustable LOP Options to Magpul PRS?

What are the options out there for an adjustable stock that will give a shorter LOP than the PRS?? How does that work with the checkrest and the charging handle? I'm looking at a JP build with the side charging (dual charging) so the need to clear the CH might not be a limiting factor.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Do you have a <90* bed in your elbow when firing with the PRS?

Feedback Score
    MAybe a little off track, but your title caught my eye.
    I have a PSR stock on my PTR-91, lop is way too long. I thinking about trying to modify it to make it shorter. 1" shorter would be good, then I could adjust it longer if needed.

Again, sorry to high jack your thread.
    NIXDSG

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Do you have a <90* bed in your elbow when firing with the PRS?
    It's just a tad long. I get it to work and proned out it isn't bad. I'd like to run it a bit shorter. I look at it this way, almost every other stock, given the opportunity, people usually run it at less than max- and how many people run the PRS longer then minimum?

Things just get a little jacked when you add in the checkrest that is restricted by the charging handle travel. So even if you could shorten it gets funky with the narrow head placement. That and scope position has some limitations from having to clear the rail and have easy access to the charging handle.

I'd like to see a hybrid between a UBR and a PRS. I'm thinking that for precision ARs, the JP side or dual charging might be interesting, because that would remove the charging handle constraints. Not optimal, but the AR, outside of the manna-from-heaven direct impingement system, is a bunch of kludges and compromises when it comes to ergonomics for an accurate rifle.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    It's just a tad long. I get it to work and proned out it isn't bad. I'd like to run it a bit shorter. I look at it this way, almost every other stock, given the opportunity, people usually run it at less than max- and how many people run the PRS longer then minimum?

Things just get a little jacked when you add in the checkrest that is restricted by the charging handle travel. So even if you could shorten it gets funky with the narrow head placement. That and scope position has some limitations from having to clear the rail and have easy access to the charging handle.

I'd like to see a hybrid between a UBR and a PRS. I'm thinking that for precision ARs, the JP side or dual charging might be interesting, because that would remove the charging handle constraints. Not optimal, but the AR, outside of the manna-from-heaven direct impingement system, is a bunch of kludges and compromises when it comes to ergonomics for an accurate rifle.
    The stock is not long, in fact, the stock is short. I have the PRS almost maxed out. Granted, I'm a giant, but if you think the stock is too short you're probably not using it correctly or you haven't been trained properly in how a PRS stock should be setup.

The PRS stock is for....Precision Rifle. Your comparison to every other stock is irrelevant. Those stocks are all designed for carbines. When in the prone your LOP should be such that your elbow is at about a 90* angle when you are properly set up behind the gun. If the angle is >90* it means your stock is too long. If its <90* it means your stock is too short. Lay the rifle down, get behind it, and check. Unless you are a legal midget, if you are running the PRS fully collapsed you are probably running it too short. Precision rifle shooting requires you to shoot a completely different style than carbine shooting. For example, your thumb should be on the outside of your pistol grip (which should also be significantly fatter than a standard carbine grip) Peep ~52 seconds on this video. Ignore the first half as I was trying to prove a point to Ryan Castle (I lost...)

I agree, not having the charging handle in the way would allow for better cheek rest placement but such is life. If you are not running PRS style shooting, you would probably be better served with a stock like a UBR anyway.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Someone here did think I was Japanese, so maybe I type short... I actually am 5'9 now, but I sit like I'm 6'3 . I'm all frickin' torso and when I sit on airplanes I see over the top of everyone and extra footspace is wasted. That I'm, as JER like to say, tactically padded in the shoulders doesn't help. It's not like I can't run the PRS prone, it's just on the beginning of the long side. If the newer version can use carbine or A5 buffers, there is space so you could take an inch off. We have cool ranges out here, so not all PRS is proned out. For giggles I checked my AI stocked rifles and they are close, but maybe only 1 to 1/2 an inch shorter than my LMT-MWS with a PRS.

Right now I just have a Gen1 PRS. The GEN3 with the adjustable cant and butt plate height might let me feel a bit more solid behind the gun. Or like you said, the UBR may be what i really need.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    It is possible to modify the Gen 3 PRS stocks for a shorter length of pull when using a carbine receiver extension.

You need to cut the front of the PRS carbine tube adapter and reshaped it to look like the original, then modify the back end of the carbine buffer tube so that it can be completely inserted into the stock. For the carbine tube you need to cut off an inch of the bottom rail (see photo) and use a bench grinder to reduce the diameter a bit in that same 1" section.

Pics are borrowed from a friend:

Shorten PRS 2.jpgShorten PRS 1.jpg

A pic of the shortened stock on his RPR:

Short PRS 4.jpg

On an AR you would probably need to use a side charging upper to avoid any issues with charging handle interference.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 02-11-18 at 13:15.

Feedback Score
    I had an intervention and got rid of all my dremel tools. It was better for everyone.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I had an intervention and got rid of all my dremel tools. It was better for everyone.

Feedback Score
    Granted I'm on the smaller side. In boot I didn't care for the A2, was longer then I liked and struggled with it. My deer rifle has on A1 stock and it's perfect. Yes, in prone I can make it work, but only at it's shortest length. This leaves no adjustability for other types of shooting positions.

Meh, such is me.
    NIXDSG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast