Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Point me in the right direction for a first build

Feedback Score

Point me in the right direction for a first build

I believe the time is coming up for a first AR build. Probably will not have time until September to begin building, but I am ready to start looking for parts.

I am looking for a fairly reliable end result that can shoot steel case ammo consistently, the latter being the reason for a build in the first place. Don't want to mess up a nice AR with potentiality damaging ammo, but would also like to make use of cheap Tula and Wolf.

Are there any kits or manufactures to avoid? Which ones to buy?

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Point me in the right direction for a first build

So you want a reliable build, but what will be the purpose of your AR? That really does drive some decisions. But from a general sense:
    I use Aero Precision lowers and uppers (usually)
    I use DSG lower parts
    I use Ballistic Advantage barrels.

That’s the “usual”. I have exceptions. I have a couple of CHF Daniel Defense barrels and a LaRue 12” Stealth. I have a couple of Vltor MUR-1A uppers. I believe they are about the best upper you can get. The CHF barrels are durable.
    Triggers are pretty personal. My higher end triggers are Geissele and Timney, my “go to” are 4-4.5 LB EDT2. They run about $59 and are worth every cent. All my builds run crappy steel cased Wolf and everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 02-07-18 at 17:05.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    The main purpose of this build would be a cheap "blaster." I plan on using steel ammo in this one. Abuse is the word that comes to mind.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    An expensive, TDP built, factory AR is meant to be abused. They will run steel ammo just fine. Save the money and buy more ammo.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    An expensive, TDP built, factory AR is meant to be abused. They will run steel ammo just fine. Save the money and buy more ammo.
    Yup, picking up a BCM or Colt at the current prices would work well.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The answer is DO NOT build one if you can help it. Buy something reliable off the shelf from a quality maker. Then you'll have resale value and a product with an actual reputation. Frankenguns resale value is crap.

B
    "When the people fear their government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." – Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    In my opinion: if your going to build something, build it with enthusiasm and build it right. How you start and how you finish will determine the quality of your build.

Resale value is always critical, don't believe me, just look in the EE. A lot of members selling there "custom builds" for a fraction of the cost. As Hammertime mentioned, "don't build one if you can help it".
    Having said that here goes. Always start with a good lower. The lower is your foundation in which you build out the rest of the gun.

Here is a list of brands that you should think about when building your AR:

USM4
    Knights Armament Company
    Colt
    LMT
    Noveske
    Centurion
    RCA
    AAC
    Midwest Industries
    Geissele
    Aimpoint

If you start with a Anderson Arms, Spikes Tactical, Colt, Mega, USM4 lower, then you should look at completing your AR using parts equivalent priced to the lower.

An example of a top tier build:

USM4 Lower
    Colt Socom Upper
    Centurion Rail
    LMT LPK
    LMT stock
    Geissele SSA
    RCA BCG
    AAC 51T flash hider

An example of a High-Mid range build:

Knights Armament lower
    Colt 6920 upper
    BCM rail
    CMMG LPK
    Magpul stock
    ALG ACT
    phosphate BCG
    A2 flash hider

In my opinion: I think these 2 examples represent the best ideal quality individual parts, best recognizable brands that would give you the best return on investment and a signature platform to call you own.
    Last edited by elephant; 02-07-18 at 21:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just buy a 6920.

I have put together an SR-25, a retro build, and umpteen ARs at umpteen armorers courses and each time I lose a pin or a Jesus spring or have have a 3rd hand; I always ask myself "Why do you keep doing this to yourself?

You really don't save as much compared to just buying a 6920 at current prices.

And anything "custom" you want to do has been made and is available as an upper.

Just hit the easy button

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    Build because you love it. Because it’s a worthwhile skill. Because you like to work with your hands when you have a spare moment. Because when you hit the target you know you made every component, with your knowhow, your choices, do its thing. Because working with your gun when you aren’t shooting it is also part of the pleasure of the hobby and tacit knowledge to pass down.

Who cares about resale. Why would you want to sell anyway? Plan for the long haul and learn your weapon. It’s a companion on a longer journey than a pic thread on a forum.

The right direction is to commit to the right tools. I think geissele rod and block are both great places to start. For a quality beater range blaster, it’s hard to beat Aero parts on sale.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by madmax_fal View Post
    I believe the time is coming up for a first AR build. Probably will not have time until September to begin building, but I am ready to start looking for parts.

I am looking for a fairly reliable end result that can shoot steel case ammo consistently, the latter being the reason for a build in the first place. Don't want to mess up a nice AR with potentiality damaging ammo, but would also like to make use of cheap Tula and Wolf.

Are there any kits or manufactures to avoid? Which ones to buy?

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!
    I believe the time is coming up for a first AR build.

I think it is pretty clear that you want to build an AR as some form of self-actualization. Unlike others on the board, I'm not going to try to tell you that what you want to do is wrong, or low IQ. I will, however, forewarn you that you will likely spend more putting together a reliable range gun than you would likely spend buying a comparable Colt, the most common example being a 6920.

I suggest buying any freaking lower you want, as long as it is machined from a 7075-T6 forging. Right now I think Sionics has one of the hottest deals, a blemished complete lower assembly for 199.95 - http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/45-clearance It has their enhanced mil-spec trigger which most folks say are pretty nice.

If you are wanting to absolutely go budget Anderson lowers can be had for 39.95 and Aero Precision lowers can be had for 79.95 at Aim Surplus.

As far as I'm concerned the best trigger for under 100.00 is the LaRue Tactical MBT-25 for 99.95 (if you are willing to wait - read the options) https://www.larue.com/products/larue...bt-2s-trigger/

Everyone has their opinions on LPK's, if you get the Sionics lower, you won't have to worry. ALG sells an LPK w/o grip and FCG for 49.00; Sionics has the same deal, their Lower Parts Kit - Builder, for 39.00 (add 10.00 for an Ambi Safety) http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/stor...receiver-parts

Grips - to each his own, I prefer B5 Systems Type 23.

Receiver extensions, I'm meh as long as they are mil-spec. Unless you want an A5 - mine is BCM.

The accuracy of the AR lies in the trigger, the upper receiver and the barrel. For uppers I use BCM blems exclusively. Right now they are 59.95 https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...-m4%20demo.htm

For barrels, I've only used Green Mountain Barrels http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ar-15-m...rifle-barrels/ (they are an OEM suppler to several well-respected companies) or Ballistic Advantage 223 Wylde Premium Series, Hanson Profile.

For rails I use ALG EMR's https://algdefense.com/rails.html (I always get the Geissele Carbon Steel gas block with the rail https://algdefense.com/accessories/a...as-blocks.html)

Stocks I like either the B5 SOPMOD or the EXos Ti-7.

Slings - Sheriff of Baghdad B-Sling. I buy the Mash hook models and have my darling wife replace the mash hook with a QD sling swivel https://sobtactical.com/store/slings/

I have never, ever, ever, built one as cheap as I could buy a comparable rifle. But it is fun.

ETA - the LaRue kits come pretty close, I have 1091.00 (minus sights) in my 6.5 Grendel - best buy I ever made.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 02-07-18 at 22:59.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast