Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Point me in the right direction for a first build

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I noticed I left out a BCG. Aside from a couple of Brownell's kits I bough just to say I had 'completely' assembled my first couple rifles, I'm pretty much on the line with Toolcraft. If you recall not to long ago everyone was absolutely gaga over buying the Toolcraft cage marked BCG's as they were the ones supplied with the .mil rebuild kits.

I'm not dissing the Sionics BCG, but I'd save $60.00 and buy this one: http://www.monmouthreloading.com/sho...k-nitride-bcg/ (this one is not listed as HP tested)
    After a few thousand rounds, definitely let us know how it works out for you. I'd love to be able to recommend a BCG for that price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    (Start thread drift)
    Sure - I'm probably going to post something in the custom build section (or at least a short article on my site) when I'm done. I'm still waiting on one more part - a pistol shell deflector/ejection port cover kit.

Old parts:
    • 80% lower I hadn't built up yet
    • BCM upper receiver
    • FDC EMR-A extended ambi mag release (for his short fingers)
    • BCM PNT trigger/hammer assy/LPK (I don't like light triggers for .22LR - found them less reliable)
    • BAD-ASS ambi safety (kid is a lefty like me)
    • BCM A44 ambi charging handle
    • Larue Iron dot RDS (Burris Fastfire in Larue mount)
    • BCM receiver end plate
    • SA 'Accubrake' I've had sitting in my parts box for over 20 years

New parts:
    • CMMG 9.2" .22LR barrel and bolt kit
    • BCM pistol receiver extension
    • SB tactical SOB brace
    • 9" BCM MCMR MLOK handguard
    • BCM M-Lok rail covers and KAG hand stop
    • PTS sights (these are airsoft sights made by the same company that made Magpul PTS polymer sights - gifted by a buddy)
    • PTS pistol grip (same as above)
    • 10-round mags because my son isn't paying for ammo yet. The 25's go kinda quick

(End thread drift)
    If I could suggest one addition it would be a BETTER-MAG. I have one and it is lights out great. It allows you to use S&W mags which are much, much, easier to load, the mag drops free (most of the time) and the bolt locks to the rear (most of the time).

https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l...ct_detail&p=52

It is pretty easy to source the M&P mags, Midway, CTD, Cabelas, Academy, etc. usually have them.

My only 'complaint' is that I had purchased a bunch of Black Dog mags and they don't work with the BETTER-MAG inserted. So I load them up at home when I'm bored and have some time, shoot them first and the insert the BETTER-MAG and use my S&W mags.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 02-10-18 at 12:05.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    If I could suggest one addition it would be a BETTER-MAG. I have one and it is lights out great. It allows you to use S&W mags which are much, much, easier to load, the mag drops free (most of the time) and the bolt locks to the rear (most of the time).

https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l...ct_detail&p=52

It is pretty easy to source the M&P mags, Midway, CTD, Cabelas, Academy, etc. usually have them.

My only 'complaint' is that I had purchased a bunch of Black Dog mags and they don't work with the BETTER-MAG inserted. So I load them up at home when I'm bored and have some time, shoot them first and the insert the BETTER-MAG and use my S&W mags.
    Thanks for the suggestion - I had actually run across those before, but since I already had a lot of the black dog machine mags, I passed on it. It's be nice to have the bolt lock back and function, I agree. I use the Christie's Products loader for my BDM mags, so loading isn't an issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by madmax_fal View Post
    The main purpose of this build would be a cheap "blaster." I plan on using steel ammo in this one. Abuse is the word that comes to mind.
    Good luck on trying to build a cheap AR.

Edit:

I built 3 (my first "builds" because I built them all at once) in 2017. Sold 1(my favorite) in Jan 2018 just because some guy offered me what I had in it. I had mixed feelings about selling it but now feel lucky. I also think the active, vocal group on this forum knows that I don't think you should build an AR anymore. It didn't save me money. It won't have the resale value (and I used to be of the mindset that I would never sell any of my guns, but I've matured into what seems to be a right of passage for gun owners). It will not have the sticker value reliability to yourself or anybody at the range.

That beings said, I learned alot. Made some friends along the way. I still want to take an Armorer's Course from IG or Ned Christensen.

My 2 cents on gun parts are: No LaRue parts. I like quad rails and idc what people think. Lighter isn't necessarily "better." Use a good amount of Aeroshell. Geissele triggers are nice, but unless I have a task specific function I will be using a Sionics or SOLGW trigger.
    Last edited by Hulkstr8; 02-10-18 at 16:51.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345