Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Chronograph to buy? Recommendations.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    but the practical application of pistol ammo velocity is almost, but not quite completely, useless.
    Exactly. I don't chrono pistol ammo ever. Just go the the data, load to MAX, and move on with my life.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Started years ago with an Owner 33, then graduated to the 35P model. Was offered a super deal at this past SHOT so I am now in a learning curve with a LabRadar. So far so good including suppressed rounds! Trick is to place the muzzle about 6 inches behind the unit. Little risky so pay attention. Have seen many others of various manufacturers, the magneto speed is remarkable for it's accuracy. User friendly is very important if you shoot or chronograph on a regular basis.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies. After looking at the magnetospeeds I don't think I would care for it much.

I don't plan on doing much with pistol just will be testing a few things and loading something close to carry ammo to try to get similar characteristics.

Primary will be load development for different rifles.

Feedback Score
    I have a ProChrono that has been trouble free, I went with this brand because it's not made in communist China. I'll probably get the Bluetooth device for it at some point.

http://www.competitionelectronics.co...hrono-digital/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've always found the little Shooting Chronys to work well. And they're fairly cheap in case one accidently catches a bullet.

Here lately I've been messing with a Caldwell G2 chronograph and have been pretty happy with it. It has a display that can be used stand-alone (you'll have to write everything down on a notepad) or you can Bluetooth it to your phone and run it that way. The tripod that comes with it is pretty cheap but the unit itself seems to be alright. The phone app isn't without its quirks, too. It would be nice to be able to save the various load info in separate folders by caliber, date, bullet weight, etc. As it is now they're all saved chronologically.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Hi everyone, Well after using {and shooting} a shooting chrony, which after getting it going again the wind blew my tripod over and broke one of the plastic holders for the skyscreen rods and "eye" I bought a Lab Radar. I can only say -I wish I had bought this in the first place- No more having to wait for or cause the line to go cold, and the multiple trips from the bench to the chrony to line it up, no more errors from changing light conditions, and more accurate velocity readings { I can get true muzzle velocity readings with mine}. plus you can get velocity readings from chosen distance points as the bullet goes down range, can get kinetic energy data and power factor also. I have only had mine to the range two times and have worked through this much of the functions.
    Now just to be honest, as one other poster stated, the menu is a bit of a learning curve and the instructions are somewhat less than concise and thorough, but if this 67 year oldster can figure it out most anyone should be able to, and besides the shooting chrony I have and as did a friend's Ohler chrony have their steps and procedures to learn also. My biggest negative is it is somewhat sensitive about location to the firearms muzzle [in order for the muzzle blast to trigger the emit/read cycle.] It can store a ton of information on a sd card that you can plug int a laptop at home and print out what information you want, [although a printer on site would be nice] as would a remote control to cycle through the functions, I am a f-class shooter so using it with long barreled rifles is a bit of a challenge. But I really like using the lab radar much more than a skyscreen chronograph.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I have been using a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono
    Quote Originally Posted by lee1000 View Post
    I have a ProChrono that has been trouble free... I'll probably get the Bluetooth device for it at some point.

I have a ProChrono. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't actually used it much, and I have the Bluetooth device, but I haven't set it up yet.

That said, I wouldn't reload without running samples over a chronograph. Checking my .40S&W loads vs. factory loads in various barrel lengths was fascinating. (OK, I'm a geek.)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a pro chrono digital that has worked perfectly the few tones I used it. If your looking for one PM me and I’ll sell it. I also have a tripod that goes with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Have labradar, magnetospeed gen 3, and an optical.

Optical works, but is slow, irritating, and occasionally innacurate.

Magnetospeed is easy to use, very portable, but takes time to get set up and won't work with some rifles without creative rigging. Does not play well with some glocks due to the upward sweep of the light rail.

Labradar is expensive and takes time and patience to learn how to use properly. I hated it at first until I'd messed with it a couple trips and now it's all I use.

Testing magnetospeed and labradar side-by-side, they were often within 5fps and occasionally identical.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Exactly. I don't chrono pistol ammo ever. Just go the the data, load to MAX, and move on with my life.
    Pretty important to know I won't slip below the min power factor for my division, but that's about it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrs View Post
    Pretty important to know I won't slip below the min power factor for my division, but that's about it.
    Good point. I rarely think of the competition side of shooting since that's not my thing... but yeah. That's a legit reason.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast