Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many custom 1911's

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

How many custom 1911's

Can a full custom shop (like Ed Brown, WC, NH, etc) produce in a month?? 10? 20? 50? 100? What do you guys think?

We know that production guns (Kimber, Springfield, etc) turn out tons of them as they do very little fitting/tuning to their 1911's. But, what about custom shop?

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ed Brown no longer does custom pistols as far as I know.
    Aubrey<><

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant
    Can a full custom shop (like Ed Brown, WC, NH, etc) produce in a month?? 10? 20? 50? 100? What do you guys think?

We know that production guns (Kimber, Springfield, etc) turn out tons of them as they do very little fitting/tuning to their 1911's. But, what about custom shop?

C4

I think we wait 2-3 months for Les Baer, 10 months for RRA pistols. Nighthawk seems to take 2-3 months. The very best 1911 I've seen come through the shop is a Yost-Bonitz.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    i ordered my yobo in may, and the last time i spoke to them (about 2 weeks ago) they had not begun it yet....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    None of the companies listed turn out custom guns. They will, for a fee, make adjustments to their standard high-end production guns, but they do not produce custom guns.

Feedback Score
    When I was somewhat "serious" about building 1911s, I would have to call them fully custom, I had no catalouged designs... running about 2 a month was comfortable -- if I quit my day job, that would double.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Sorry folks, my brain was thinking about full custom weapons when I was typing.

The question is, how many 1911's do you think come out of say WC, Brown, NH, etc a month?

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 10-27-06 at 10:04.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis
    When I was somewhat "serious" about building 1911s, I would have to call them fully custom, I had no catalouged designs... running about 2 a month was comfortable -- if I quit my day job, that would double.

That sounds about right to me. Where I am going with this is that, the big name boys produce HUGE numbers of 1911's a month (100 or more) and some of them only have about 4-6 smiths on duty. Here is the kicker, a 1911 with a lot of attention to detail spent on it (polishing, tuning, etc) takes somewhere around 50-80hrs hours to produce (if not more)!

So we (this includes me) are spending $2k-$3K on a production gun that has almost NO hand work. I am also willing to bet, that the guns don't have more than $800-$900 worth of parts in them.

I now find that I can have and produce a custom gun with much higher grade parts, better coating that is hand polished (read no machine), tuned, blended, etc for $2,500!

When I first got into 1911's I believed that the big name 1911 makers were semi-custom to full custom and that is why they were $2,500-$3,000 (or more). After a lot of research and questions asked, I now realize that I didn't get anything more than a production weapon with SOME upgraded parts, SOME fitting/blending and nothing more.

Edited to add: What I mean by full custom is that someone is going over the weapon by hand (no machine polishing, etc) not just adding some parts to their normal "production" gun.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 10-27-06 at 10:41.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A gun can be production and still be hand made/fit. Rock River Arms standard models are a perfect example of this. I believe that Wilson, Nighthawk, and Ed Brown (to name a few) are the exact same way. As far as I know at least a couple of these shops also have one guy working on any given pistol from start to finish, rather than an assembly line with a guy that just sits there and installs sights all day.

It's not like any of these shops has a big machine that they feed steel into at one end and have a pistol spit out the other ready for grips.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by trio
    i ordered my yobo in may, and the last time i spoke to them (about 2 weeks ago) they had not begun it yet....
    Is it a 1* or something else? I think I waited 5 months for my 1* I just received but I'd have to check my old CC bill to be sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast