Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 640 Pro: initial thoughts and review

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

S&W 640 Pro: initial thoughts and review

Hey guys,

A lot of my friends know that I hold the crazy view that the S&W J-frame is actually the best handgun available for everyone but police and military folks. Basically, this comes down to the handiness, simplicity, safety and utter reliability of the piece.

Anyway, for years I have been tempted by the 640 Pro. It is basically a steel .357 J frame with a slightly longer barrel with an extended, shielded ejector, no lock and factory three dot night sights.

Anyway, I was considering getting a K6s but then I decided it would be stupid when the 640 is out there and I have so much experience with them (not to mention holsters, speed-loaders, laser grips, etc).

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    I have carried an airweight forever. And my current one, already used when I bought it, is a real beater with many thousands of rounds down the pipe. It is fitted with CT laser grips, which I love, so I put a set on the 640 for added functionality and so they would have the same grip profile.

On the scale my 642 with laser grips weighs 14.7 ounces empty. The 640 weighs 22.1 ounces. So you are looking at 7.4 ounces of extra weight for the steel, extra barrel and sights.

The trigger is J-frame: very heavy and smooth. Frankly, this is the way I like it. I have a Wilson spring kit in my 642, and I have an apex spring kit I am going to put in the 640 now that I have test fired it. Basically, I wanted to make sure that the gun didn’t have any issues I would blame on the apex later.

The 640 doesn’t have the lock. Honestly, I have never had an issue with the lock but since some folks have reported issues and the feature is completely useless to me I am happy I don’t have to remove the damn thing.

I fired 100 rounds of 130 grain white box .38 . The gun, obviously, is a pussycat compared to the airweight. I fired 20 158 grain .357 through it and was stout, but completely manageable. I have decided that I will keep .357 Gold Dot in the gun on a moon clip (which the gun is cut for) but I will keep all my speedloaders and speed strips loaded with +P .38 so there won’t be any confusion with my two other J-frames.

I was VERY happy that the gun’s sights are perfectly POA/POI. I tore off a square of duct tape and covered the square perfectly with the front sight and the bullets for both land EXACTLY beind the front sight. Basically, I can run the front sight like an aimpoint which is my preference.

I have a Glaco belt slide for my Jframes and it fit the gun perfectly. I did some drill with the holster and from a pocket holster (my usual mode of carry) and it is, obviously, faster than the airweight. I took a three mile walk with the gun in my pocket last night and I can say it is a bit less fun to pocket carry because you are aware it is there. The airweight basically doesn’t exist in the pocket until you need it, but you can feel the 640’s substance on your leg. That being said, it is easily carried in the pocket or on the hip.

I had zero issues during this initial outing. And I developed a new drill. I usually do 6/6/6 drills with my autoloaders (3 shots to slide lock, reload, 3 shots from concealment at 6 yards in under 6 seconds). I sometimes do that with my J-frames. Today I did a 2 shot drill, then strip off two rounds off a speed strip and fire 2 more shots. Basically practicing a fast reload where you only peeled two rounds off a speed strip. Much fun. PRACTICE WITH YOUR SPEED STRIPS MY FRIENDS, it is humbling.

The slightly longer ejector rod is very nice. If you do an FBI reload on an airweight (thumb on the ejector, rather than striking it with the palm) you can easily get a stuck case with the normal length ejector. This seems to be just enough to insure smooth ejection every time.

Anyway, it is looking good so far. The three dot sights and extra weight make this a measurably faster gun to get into action. I am going to drop in the apex kit this week and check next week to see if I have any ignition issues.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Excellent review. Thank you. I've carried a 642 for many years. Reading this has me thinking about upgrading. About two months to my birthday so maybe I'll drop this as my hint.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The 640 pro was on the top of the list until the K6s and the new colt cobra came out. Ended up getting a cobra last night, but with the weight of the pro I decided I would rather have the colt with the extra round.
    Lack of Lubrication -- a lot of folks who learned on bolt guns don't understand that gas guns like women run better wet.
    -KevinB

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Consider me subscribed. The EDC thread in GD, and the pocket gun debate in the semiauto section have been very good. Both of those thread have had me thinking about my EDC. I've been carrying my J-frames more and more and I'm confident in this choice, given my personal threat analysis and my abilities.

Then this thread comes up, and I'll be darned if this thread ends up costing me money, like your previous ones! I looked at a 640 in 2014, when I bought my first J-frame, a 642 (no thanks to you ).

Regarding the holster, how do you find drawing a short gripped gun from an OWB holster? I've been mulling over buying a belt holster for my J-frames, and I've been looking at the Galco offerings. While I (and most others here) are pretty used to drawing these out of pocket holsters and ankle rigs, I'd be interested to see your thoughts on the issues and value of carrying the J-frame OWB.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That's a slick jframe, agree 100% on practicing with the speed loaders being humbling. My new 340 shoots poa as well, very pleased. I snagged a safari land iwb holster I don't like, need to post it and grab something different. Maybe an owb like yours would be handy.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Excellent review, thank you. I've been wanting a 640 Pro for a while. It's good to hear that you're pleased with it.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thanks for the excellent review. As a fan of the 642, I have been planning on picking up the 640 Pro.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

S&W 640 Pro: initial thoughts and review

The 442/642 are great because of size and weight. I had one of the steel stainless .357's years ago I think it was called a 640-1. It was too heavy for me. I had a Scandium 340PD in .357 too. Wicked light but kicked like a MULE! It also jammed up on me twice at qualification because I shot the 110 grain .357 rounds we were issued for qualification. After a few rounds the projectilea became unseated and locked up the cylinder. It required tools to get it running again. I used a cross pen. When a revolver jams you're screwed! I carried a Monadnock De-Jammer one my key ring for years. It was my fault the revolver jammed. The bbl is clearly stamped shoot no less than 125 grain rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by usmcvet; 02-13-18 at 22:59.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Attachment 50495I also had a 642 S&W for years prior to getting my 640 Pro. I also previously had a regular 640-1, but sold it off.
    I'm mainly a Glock-guy but like to maintain proficiency with revolvers, now being an old-guy.
    I'm somewhat glad the Kimber K6S and new Colt Cobra weren't out yet when I bought my 640 Pro as it'd make choosing between the three difficult and there'd be a chance I'd buy all three.
    Last edited by L-2; 02-14-18 at 20:23.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    100 more rounds down the pipe. I am really enjoying this piece. I decided to skip the APEX kit. I really don't have any problem with it as is and I don't want to reduce the reliability of the gun.

I had my buddy Dan blast with it and he really enjoyed the .38s (and he hate, hate, hates blasting with my airweight) but still thought the .357 was a bit much.

Man, I wish S&W would make an airweight version of this.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast