Thread: VLD Endcap strike , No good at all!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

VLD Endcap strike , No good at all!

We went out to do the Sunday marathon and I found an old box of custom 300WM ammo from the "long Range Pursuit" guys that do the TV show. I bought it considering using it for hunting ammo before mark loaded 300. It was 190 grain VLD's in Federal brass. First shot at steel at 100, I completely miss the steel. Move over to larger paper and it hits 3 inches high, we are like WTF. Marks glances down to the can and sure as shit, end cap strike on first round. To boot, the can is a Sig QD Ti 338LM can.

Oh lord was I pissed, we pulled it off and there were no baffle strikes. No idea how it happened, it should be ultra precision ammo but those damn VLD's are finicky.

Loaded up the Rem700 -Kreiger barrel and pulled out the 225 ELD's and stacked a clover leaf sub .5 group. At least the can is still , or seems to be fine. Any reason for me to take any other action, other than not shoot that ammo through a can?

I know plenty of people have shot VLD's with much happiness, but they have done nothing but bring anger and sorrow every time we pull them out. I hate those bullets.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-12-18 at 14:50.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"