G&R Tactical

Thread: BRT OPTIMUM build

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

BRT OPTIMUM build

BLUF- Very smooth, LW shooter.

Purpose of build- To build a LW rifle from the ground up with smooth function and light weight as a priority.

Concept of parts chosen- Be willing to think outside the box a little, and choose components purpose built to improve over the already excellent parts on the market. As certain injuries were pushing me in the direction of a LW build, weight was a factor as well as maximizing timing events within the design of the rifle, while still ending up with a duty grade fighting rifle.

The jumping point for this build was Black River Tactical announcing their OPTIMUM 16" barrel. It was time for me to try a light weight direction, the specs intrigued me, and I was willing to take a slight gamble. The widespread audience of the E&E means someone is almost always looking for the parts you are hoping to sell, and most of the build follows my usual pattern. I would be trying a few parts I'd never considered before, such as an AGB, LMT enhanced carrier, a non-A2 FH, etc. I researched each one of these parts separately, and asked a few questions that were well answered by the more experienced on this forum. (There was quite a bit of overlap between the people able to answer the questions and the people who shoot a lot.) Some parts were chosen simply due to the apparent lack of known viable alternatives, such as the AGB. Others for their specific function, such as the E-carrier. At least one part was a complete gamble at the time, such as the barrel and 6315.

Build list-
    Magpul SL stock
    A5 RE/Green Sprinco spring/ A5H2 buffer
    Magpul K2 grip
    Stripped S&W lower
    Sionics LPK
    Vltor MUR w/FA
    BCM ambi CH
    LMT enhanced carrier/Sionics bolt
    BRT OPTIMUM 16" barrel
    SLR Rifleworks AGB
    ALG V3 13" DDC
    Forward Control Designs 6315 FH
    Accu-washer shim set
    LMT rear sight
    DD front sight
    VCAS Multicam sling w/ Magpul QD
    Aimpoint CompC3 2MOA RDS

Attachment 50481
    Attachment 50482
    Attachment 50483

The MUR, stock, and rear sight came from the E&E. I went with the K2 because less horizontal grips annoy me. The A5/Green Sprinco/A5H2 is my go to set up, though I may try the A5H3. I started out with BRT's Covert Comp, and while I liked it, I was very used to A2 flash hiders. I'm very happy with the 6315, and I feel it works as advertised. I'm not one for muzzle brakes.
    I did a lot of research on the e-carrier before going that route, and I do feel it contributes to the smoothness of function. Where it should really come into its own is when suppressed.
    The reason for choosing the stripped S&W lower is twofold: they are available locally and accept all generations of PMAGs. My first AR was also a S&W, so I don't mind things matching, though they usually get painted. I just added my Sionics LPK and called it good. I've had the Aimpoint since I started shooting ARs in 2007/2008, just keep the battery fresh and it does its job. The DD rear sight was recently replaced by the LMT. I'm used to the adjustments of an A2 style rear sight, so it works well for me.
    But the core of what makes just build different from simply choosing a normal lightweight barrel is the Black River Tactical OPTIMUM barrel. It took precedent, and most of the components where chosen to complement the barrel and its attributes. I corresponded with Clint multiple times and ended up with this criteria: at the end of the day, it has to marginally function with PMC Bronze, and well with anything better. This is due to the group I shoot with often choosing PMC Bronze as off the shelf ammo. I mentor a group of up to a dozen shooters, and if they show up hoping to send their ammo through my rifle, which I invite them to do, I want the rifle to work. I sent Clint all of the components for the upper to be tested, and things work great with the AGB 6 clicks open. It does not reliably function with Tula. I feel it will be a good setting for going unsuppressed/suppressed 50/50, though it would probably be optimal only 5 clicks open if restricted to 5.56 ammo.
    Overall, it is an exceptionally smooth shooter. I'm not one to go very much into the AGB, non-milspec BCG world, and any one of the "special" components on their own would not have made this build what it is. The dot "hops" on target very little during strings of fire, and if I'm overbearing on the rifle I'll even dip it low. The only rifles I've shot that run smoother are gamer guns with muzzle brakes. I shoot from below zero to 100+ degrees, and have had no reliability issues. Round count is now 2686 rounds, and this will likely be my first suppressed build.
    Personal conclusion- for simple builds, grab a Sionics LW barrel and drive on. If there are areas you are looking to maximize and you are willing to tinker with adjustments, this barrel works well for it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 21:15.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I like the thought that went into the build, and I like the build a lot. I am (slowly) building a upper with the Optimum barrel. Mine will have a standard BCG and gas block and I will run a 1-4 optic.

Andy
    That should still work great. Pushing the envelope was my interest in seeing "how much of a good thing" I could have. But even with a standard barrel/BCG/GB, it should still make for a great shooter.

Feedback Score
    Nice rifle, it shares several components with my optimum barrel build. After shooting mine for a bit, I don't thing an agb is beneficial in any way. I'm really happy with the how the gas system feels. It's very similar to my sr-15. Smooth, soft, but not sluggish.

Did you have any issues with the precision armament shim touching the shoulder of the threaded part of the barrel? I had to modify the shim so it wouldn't hit.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    Nice rifle, it shares several components with my optimum barrel build. After shooting mine for a bit, I don't thing an agb is beneficial in any way. I'm really happy with the how the gas system feels. It's very similar to my sr-15. Smooth, soft, but not sluggish.

Did you have any issues with the precision armament shim touching the shoulder of the threaded part of the barrel? I had to modify the shim so it wouldn't hit.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    I don't remember having to modify the shim, or having to use much force to seat it. I'd like to think I didn't He-Man it.
    I'd bet you're right about the gas block, but I was dealing with a couple unknowns as a combination: How would PMC Bronze and the e-carrier add to the extended gas system, and would there be sufficient gas? I decided to have Clint open the gas port, if necessary, to allow this ammo/component combo to work as my minimum gas drive function, to account for how common the ammo is with my shooting group. (My ammo tends to be full powered 223 factory, and reloads of similar pressure.) In retrospect, it was probably an unneeded variable, but it worked out very well, and I don't have any need to adjust it. Two of the aforementioned shooting buddies picked up the blem version of the same barrel, so we'll have plenty of comparison later once the shooting season starts. One will be using Clint's gas block, and pending that working well, so will the other.