Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What pound recoil spring do you run in your gun?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by arbninftry View Post
    Wolff 18 lbs chrome silicon spring in a 5 inch gun.
    FOR the win!!!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    This thread makes my want to buy a "test" 1911 and shoot a few cases through it just to try a few of these combos...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    All you would find is that the heavier the recoil spring, the harder they kick and the more they dip, the lighter the mainspring, the more they want to inertia feed.

Springs don't affect timing, they only affect slide velocity. In a 5" 45, I think the 23lb main and a 14-16lb recoil is ideal and haven't gotten a legitimate reason for the light main/heavy recoil spring setup. The boutique 1911 builders do it just to make it sound like they improved something, and it feels nice when you're checking out the slide to frame fit. It makes the slide feel tighter, but it's easy to cock and rack and makes fit 'n finish crowd get all emotional.

I have found that most extractor problems stem from goofy spring rates that let the magazine inertia feed.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    All you would find is that the heavier the recoil spring, the harder they kick and the more they dip, the lighter the mainspring, the more they want to inertia feed.

Springs don't affect timing, they only affect slide velocity. In a 5" 45, I think the 23lb main and a 14-16lb recoil is ideal and haven't gotten a legitimate reason for the light main/heavy recoil spring setup. The boutique 1911 builders do it just to make it sound like they improved something, and it feels nice when you're checking out the slide to frame fit. It makes the slide feel tighter, but it's easy to cock and rack and makes fit 'n finish crowd get all emotional.

I have found that most extractor problems stem from goofy spring rates that let the magazine inertia feed.
    Interesting, what do you mean by inertia feed? vs what kind of feeding, via the spring? Elaborate. Im learning a bit and I like to learn. For those guys reading this thread and not posting, you can go to Brownells and read each mfg suggested uses for each of their poundage springs.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-18-18 at 07:47.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    PB-

"Inertia feed" is when (usually) the last round (not always last rd.) in the magazine pops into the chamber without being controlled by the extractor.
    This causes a "double feed" (loose rd. in chamber with another rd. trying to feed in, behind loose rd.) or at very least ties up gun- requiring a "clear jamb" drill/exercise.

This is usually resulting from a timing issue; mag spring to weak, or too heavy, to feed next round up at the proper sequence for the slide to strip it off and into battery.
    This can be a combined problem of recoil spring weight and magazine spring/follower or even mag feed lips (too loose/spread, too tight.....).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It doesn't have to be a complete inertia feed, a lot of times the round will just slip forward in the magazine a bit and when the slide contacts it, it pop out of the feedlips and be tossed into the chamber ahead of the extractor. It will usually run fine, but the extractor will need retuned, chip, or break eventually. It can also cause a live round to be ejected every now and then.

If there was such a thing as too much mag spring force, I haven't seen it. I like Tripp Super 7 kits and they're probably double what the original spec was. The tighter you hold the rounds and the the quicker they get presented, the better.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm with you on all, 17K. There was a time when I thought there could be too much mag spring and the slide would drag too much on that top round. Now I know it ain't so. Mag springs strong enough to outwardly deform the feed lips on some brands of magazine do not cause malfunctions, they reduce them. Until the magazines get too fat but that's not really that common.

I use the Super 7 kits on just about everything.

18, 18.5 pound recoil springs, there was a time too when I thought using the heaviest possible recoil spring was good. Even some mfgrs are using them-- I think it's the wrong approach. I use 16 pounders. They work with a wide range of power factors in .45.

Keep in mind that you might not have a perfect, manly grasp on the gun every time you fire it. If you are on your butt, firing it weak-hand only, too much recoil spring might cause a malfunction.

When I do a class I show a vid of me firing a 1911 with no recoil spring-- even with my bowling pin loads which are not mild (215 PF).

So Pappa Bear, did you get that the inertia feed is essentially, the slide comes back, bangs the frame real hard, the frame jumps back, and the top round in the mag stays put...? So the entire pistol moves back away from the round, making it seem as if the round has jumped forward out of the magazine and is now sitting there, possibly oriented in such a way that it can't be fed into the chamber when the slide comes back forward?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I never asked you, what springs do I have in my gun, Nedsky?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A progressive, 8-9-10-22-pounder, right hand wind transitioning to left hand wind in the middle.

Or a standard 16-pounder.... :-)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I'm with you on all, 17K. There was a time when I thought there could be too much mag spring and the slide would drag too much on that top round. Now I know it ain't so. Mag springs strong enough to outwardly deform the feed lips on some brands of magazine do not cause malfunctions, they reduce them. Until the magazines get too fat but that's not really that common.

I use the Super 7 kits on just about everything.

18, 18.5 pound recoil springs, there was a time too when I thought using the heaviest possible recoil spring was good. Even some mfgrs are using them-- I think it's the wrong approach. I use 16 pounders. They work with a wide range of power factors in .45.

Keep in mind that you might not have a perfect, manly grasp on the gun every time you fire it. If you are on your butt, firing it weak-hand only, too much recoil spring might cause a malfunction.

When I do a class I show a vid of me firing a 1911 with no recoil spring-- even with my bowling pin loads which are not mild (215 PF).

So Pappa Bear, did you get that the inertia feed is essentially, the slide comes back, bangs the frame real hard, the frame jumps back, and the top round in the mag stays put...? So the entire pistol moves back away from the round, making it seem as if the round has jumped forward out of the magazine and is now sitting there, possibly oriented in such a way that it can't be fed into the chamber when the slide comes back forward?
    Thank you Ned, this thread has taught me much. It is very interesting how many different configurations can work, and it in many cases comes down to refinement with your Bullets, Gun, Desired Usage....Very cool stuff. Like the TKpreacher said, be interesting to run some variations. I did order a few springs from Brownells, a couple 16 lb'ers and one other.

Since Im getting my education here, what is the firing pin stop story? Can somebody give me the nuts and bolts on that? Im understanding recoil and mainspring a bit. Take us to the next level on firing pin stop and how it plays a role.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-19-18 at 10:53.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast