Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What pound recoil spring do you run in your gun?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    This thread has peaked my interest again in trying a lighter recoil spring.

I’m going to swap the TRP over to a 16lb recoil spring and a 23lb main spring.

Will be a good back to back comparison to the 18lb recoil spring and 21lb hammer spring setup in my Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Id like to hear what you find.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I roll with +P loads when i carry it, so it's got an 18 pound recoil spring with a shock buffer and whatever Springfield uses for their mainsprings, I haven't had to change it out yet.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Thank you Ned, this thread has taught me much. It is very interesting how many different configurations can work, and it in many cases comes down to refinement with your Bullets, Gun, Desired Usage....Very cool stuff. Like the TKpreacher said, be interesting to run some variations. I did order a few springs from Brownells, a couple 16 lb'ers and one other.

Since Im getting my education here, what is the firing pin stop story? Can somebody give me the nuts and bolts on that? Im understanding recoil and mainspring a bit. Take us to the next level on firing pin stop and how it plays a role.

PB
    The smaller radius contacts the hammer lower than the larger radius so it takes more energy to overcome the mainspring. The small radius was the original and was in use until 1918 iirc. The 1911 was supposed to be carried condition 3, the went to the larger radius to make it easier to rack the slide with the hammer down. In a 45 there is no advantage to the larger radius. It increases slide velocity.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A 1911 will run on just about any combination of spring rates. I consider it a testament to the reliability of the design and it has nothing to do with insight on the person who put the springs in.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    A progressive, 8-9-10-22-pounder, right hand wind transitioning to left hand wind in the middle.
    I should've known. Because that Shuemann barrel has a progressive twist, right?

Your gun cycles like dream. I am kind of glad that I've developed my senses and vision just enough to feel and see those things. No sight bouncing, smooth roll of the slide back and forth, totally awesome.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm gonna vouch for the lighter mainspring again. There is a good reason they are popular with competition shooters. Slightly lighter trigger pull, faster cycling with less muzzle flip. I wouldn't got below 17lb in the mainspring though.
    Last edited by foxtrotx1; 02-20-18 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    How does a brother know he needs a new mainspring? As long as the gun is shooting good, Im good, but I don't want to be beating my gun to death because I don't know my springs lifespan.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    “Common wisdom” is change recoil spring at 2K rds in a 5” Gun PB.
    Guess I can see that with Ball/full power ammo, but admit I’m probably an every 5K rds guy- if that.
    The only time I’ve replaced a MS was on a used gun, of unknown usage, or when changing to a lighter MS.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    I'm gonna vouch for the lighter mainspring again. There is a good reason they are popular with competition shooters. Slightly lighter trigger pull, faster cycling with less muzzle flip. I wouldn't got below 17lb in the mainspring though.
    A lighter main is fine if you're running light loads, it helps there. If you're running full power 230 grain, it's not helping anything. I just took an 18 out of one that has a nice trigger on C&S parts and going to a 23 added about 6oz to the pull.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast