Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle for baby boy due in June

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Each of my kids has a nice stripped lower sitting in the safe.
    My son is 5 and likes guns, shooting occasionally since he was 3. His first shots were with a 5.56 AR, but he's also shot other rifles, and an M&P9 Shield.
    He just got is his first rifle for Christmas, a Savage Rascal .22.
    Last edited by masakari; 02-15-18 at 08:47.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Rifle for baby boy due in June

Your kids first Fun should be a single shot .22 rifle. I bought a Savage bolt for my sone! Regular stock and a link stock for my girls. My middle daughter got a 10-22 with pink stock later. This little Savage .22 was too long for all three kids and its tiny. It has a real safety! Peep sights and a good trigger.

Buy a light weight bbl AR and put it away for Down the road.

I bought the Cricket for my daughter first and a Marlin for my son. I never shot either and would not recommend them. There is no traditional safety on the Cricket and the Marlin Safety was a POS bent sheet metal that I didn’t see being handed down. The Savage was solid! I can’t find it now. Looks like the Rascal replaced it. The Rascal is shorter but I liked the wood stock on the one I bought my girls. The Cricket safety is part of the bolt and was nothing I wanted to teach my kids on. I sold both and bought the Savages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by usmcvet; 02-15-18 at 20:43.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I say get, while the getting is good. Who knows that the situation will be 8-12 years from now and I don't think quality guns are going to get much cheaper. Just get something basic and put it away, if he gets into guns great, if not no harm no foul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    My boy is 5 and got his first taste of shooting my ARs this past Christmas - he's hooked! During that time though I realized that a 10/22 or some other .22LR would be a better starter gun, as was mentioned above. Smaller, less recoil, lighter, etc.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Rifle for baby boy due in June

My son shot at 3 and wasn't very interested in the rifle. He loved the Ruger .22 pistol. He's my shooting buddy now. He shoots very well. My girls like picking hi brass more than shooting.

Last spring.

He bagged his first turkey five months later. He was 11.

His Target.

Don't overlook the BB gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    I say get, while the getting is good. Who knows that the situation will be 8-12 years from now and I don't think quality guns are going to get much cheaper. Just get something basic and put it away, if he gets into guns great, if not no harm no foul.
    Good advice. I'd add that knowing how to shoot is a life skill. I taught all of my kids at a young age. The single shot bolt is the best place to start. Each of my kids have at least one gun, a .22 they can pass on to their kids some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah, as I said this wouldn't be a first gun to learn on. I just figured I'd get the little guy an AR while they're cheap.

A couple of dudes just duding it up with matching 6720s would be pretty sweet. A2 front sight fam.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd get him the rifle. Is it entirely possible he isn't interested later on? Sure. At the end of the day though, which are you going to regret more? Not getting him a rifle that he could possibly have a need or want for later on, or getting him a rifle he's not interested in? This is about as good as it's going to get right now. I'd snag a 6920/6720 and a pile of mags. Worst case scenario is you have an extra rifle and mags/ammo if he wants nothing to do with it. Still a win in my book. Might even be a good idea to snag a G17/G19 and some mags to go with the rifle.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Consecutive Serial Numbered Colt AR6720’s would be very cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    For what it's worth we are a no cable TV household and will not be doing the vidya games nonsense either. I'm sure all that Call of Duty garbage twists boys expectations of real world guns all up. I'll be teaching him on a single shot 22 rifle, then a 10/22, etc. I just figured I may as well buy the AR now while they're so dang cheap.
    Good decision, you will not regret it. I did the same (admittedly because the cable company made me mad 20+ years ago and I have been boycotting them ever since) and never regretted it. My kids got along great without it- they preferred to be reading, playing, hunting, fishing, camping......
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast