Thread: Gun and gear questions for my first match tomorrow

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Gun and gear questions for my first match tomorrow

I know this is one of the more commonly asked questions on most forums but I just want to verify my gear setup. I'm shooting competition for the first time tomorrow, I think its technically USPSA. The only two handguns I have here are heavily modified so I believe that forces me into open class. I'll be shooting my Roland Special 19, though I didn't have the opportunity to zero the RMR after I got it back from Trijicon so I'll have to shoot irons. I'll be wearing my normal MOLLE belt setup that has three pistol mag pouches and a G-Code MULE, but I've heard that drop legs may not be allowed. Hawaii limits pistol mags to 10 rounds so I think that part should be fairly straight forward. Does any part of my setup sound like it'll be an issue? The club here makes beginners take a 101 class before the match so I can ask questions there, but I'd prefer to have my kit solidified before then.

Feedback Score
    I am right-handed. When I shot IDPA I liked my spare mags on my left hip oriented bullets-rearward upside down. That allowed me to grab a spare mag and have it automatically oriented in my left hand correctly to insert in the pistol.

You may decide you want to do it another way, but I found that was fastest. Remember: mags upside-down, bullets facing rearward.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Odd.

I like my rifle mags with the bullets facing backwards (I am right handed) but I like my pistol mags with the bullets facing forward.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Odd.

I like my rifle mags with the bullets facing backwards (I am right handed) but I like my pistol mags with the bullets facing forward.
    Ditto for me, bullets forward on pistol mags. But I'll bet the OP already knows how to reload his pistol from a belt.

OP, You may want to read through the USPSA equipment rules to be sure they will allow your holster. I seem to remember drop legs being prohibited for some divisions and/or at some matches, but I can't remember the specific details. Generally if the pistol butt is below the belt level it's a no-go, but I don't know if that applies to open. There are also exceptions for LEO and active duty military personnel who want to run their duty gear as long as it is a level I match.

USPSA Rules are here: https://uspsa.org/viewer/Feb_2014_Handgun_Rules.pdf

I think the section on holsters starts around pg 25.

Depending on stage design you may want to add a 4th mag to your belt. Some shooters also like to keep a "barney mag" in a back pocket to top the gun off while making ready before the start of a stage (chamber a round from the barney mag, then replace it will a full magazine so that you start with a full mag +1).

Be very sure of where you are allowed to handle ammo and where you are allowed to handle your pistol before doing either.

Otherwise, be safe, be sure to lend a hand pasting targets between shooters, and have a good time.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 02-16-18 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Gun and gear questions for my first match tomorrow

Yeah I've only ever seen bullets forward or outward on competition rigs. As a follow-up to my original questions for future reference though, the top of the grip could not be below the belt, so no drop leg. The largest stage was 35 rounds so three belt pouches plus two spares shoved into a rifle taco was more than enough. Thanks for the tip on the "barney mag." I think I was the only one in open that wasn't shooting an optic, but it was still an awesome time. I can't believe how many NDs I saw though.
    Last edited by Wake27; 02-18-18 at 17:34.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I wear my mags bullets facing back.

Sorry to hear about the ND’s. I don’t think I would shoot with that squad again.

Glad you had fun, though. Welcome to USPSA.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Luckily they were all down range, and the shooters were all immediately DQ’d.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Multiple ND's?

Bizarre, I've seen 3 or 4 in 30 years.
    Must have a lot of new shooters unfamiliar with their weapons?
    Thank God for wound tight RO's.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Glad to hear you had a great first match. I'm not surprised you were the only one shooting open who wasn't running an optic.

Sorry to hear about the NDs. At least it sounds like the ROs were squared away and handled them correctly.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 02-19-18 at 07:29.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    There were three NDs in my squad alone, I don’t know about the other squads. They all seemed like they were regulars too. One of the guys was actually an RO and stayed to work the rest of the match. At least one was on a PCC. I don’t remember the other two.

Either way, I wish there were more matches out here, it was a lot of fun. Now I really want a PCC to shoot as well. That was the one downside, it took about six hours for less than a hundred rounds shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.