Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Trimmer Recommendation

Feedback Score

Case Trimmer Recommendation

I shoot pistols of various cartridge and pistol caliber carbines. I've never cared that much about shooting rifles. Right now I load 45 ACP and 10mm auto. 38/357 will get added to the mix in the next few months, and I currently have Redding dies to load S&W 460 magnum.

The 460 magnum is more like loading for a rifle and I would think may require case trimming. I may also get into long range rifle shooting (I'm thinking Ruger RPR or Savage 110), but it's very likely I'd own one long range rifle and only load one cartridge. I'm sort of topping off on my cartridge variety interest.

I've heard that an electric trimmer is the way to go, but I don't see myself loading a very high volume of 460 mag or rifle cartridges compared to my volume of pistol cartridges. I'm thinking maybe 500 cases a year combined. Maybe 1000 a year max.

Can you all make a recommendation on a case trimmer for this volume of trimming needs, and a unit, manual or electric, that will handle anything and not break the bank? I don't mind spending decent money on equipment if it will last me forever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sagecarbina View Post
    I shoot pistols of various cartridge and pistol caliber carbines. I've never cared that much about shooting rifles. Right now I load 45 ACP and 10mm auto. 38/357 will get added to the mix in the next few months, and I currently have Redding dies to load S&W 460 magnum.

The 460 magnum is more like loading for a rifle and I would think may require case trimming. I may also get into long range rifle shooting (I'm thinking Ruger RPR or Savage 110), but it's very likely I'd own one long range rifle and only load one cartridge. I'm sort of topping off on my cartridge variety interest.

I've heard that an electric trimmer is the way to go, but I don't see myself loading a very high volume of 460 mag or rifle cartridges compared to my volume of pistol cartridges. I'm thinking maybe 500 cases a year combined. Maybe 1000 a year max.

Can you all make a recommendation on a case trimmer for this volume of trimming needs, and a unit, manual or electric, that will handle anything and not break the bank? I don't mind spending decent money on equipment if it will last me forever.
    While I use the WFT trimmer for high volume cartridges like .223 and .308, I use and really like the Wilson trimmer with Sinclair upgrades (stand, "shark fin" holder) for smaller count cartridges like 6.5x55, .30-30, etc. each cartridge family needs its own Wilson case holder. Cases need to be sized of course before trimming to fit into the case holder. Very well built unit and consistently precise. You can get other upgrades such as carbide cutter and micrometer adjuster but I have done thousands of cases without them (mostly before I got the WFT).
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I absolutely HATE case trimming by hand... miserable experience IMO.

I use the Hornady Lock N Load case prep machine and I’m very happy with it. They’re a little pricey but it’s an all-in-one unit so it serves several functions.

https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-50012.../dp/B001KZ3NMQ

There’s a lot of guys that use/recommend a Giraud case trimmer. They’re up there in price too but I hear they’re nice units.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I use the Giraud, but not the whole self contained machine, just the trimmer head chucked up in my lathe.

It works great, trimming, chamfering and deburring in just a couple seconds per piece.

Feedback Score
    I haven't actually used it yet, but I have the Dillon 1200 trimmer...

Feedback Score
    Lee Precision offers some affordable options for small batches.

I tried the RCBS trimmer. It was all over the place.

The WFT 2 for .308 and 6.5 CM will consistently trim to variances less than .001. And, can do large batches quickly. However, since it relies upon the case shoulder, straight pistol cases probably won't work.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I use the WFT for .223, .308 and 6.5CM. Not nearly as expensive as the Giraud but very similarly design and use. The newest generation allows for more modularity than the first gen.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    I use the Giraud, but not the whole self contained machine, just the trimmer head chucked up in my lathe.

It works great, trimming, chamfering and deburring in just a couple seconds per piece.
    I also have that unit for .223 and it works well. I really like how it chamfers and deburrs all while trimming. Just streamlines the process a bit more.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The Giraud is priceless for any kind of high volume rifle ammo.

I've almost completely quit trimming bolt gun 308 and 300wm. I have the Wilson/Sinclair mentioned above for that, but it's exhausting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I too despised case trimming - enough so that after several years I ponied up for the Giraud. I have trimmers for .223, 300BO, and 308. It was pricey at over $600 shipped with the above separate cutter heads and case holders but my sanity was worth the expense. It trims off the shoulder length vs overall case length so that’s something you definitely have to keep in mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast