Thread: Spent too much on a sling?

Feedback Score

Spent too much on a sling?

Hey guys,

I don't know a sling, so I took advantage of the POTUS sale at Blue Force Gear and picked up a Vicker's Cobra sling for $96 shipped. Did I spend too much?

I know that I could pick up a VTAC (my first choice) or regular Vickers for about half. However, I have been told by a couple guys in the know that they like to have a buckle to get out of the sling quickly if they have to. I've read a bunch of stuff and watched youtube videos, but still don't know if it's a good buy. Let me know what ya think -cause I can cancel lol.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Don’t remember what I paid for it, but I love my Vickers Cobra sling. When I bought it ~2010, it went on my work gun, replacing a VTAC. Now it lives on my go-to personal rifle. It does what it is supposed to do. I’m gonna go check this sale out....

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    To be honest, in my opinion, you may have.
    Cobra buckles are designed to not release when they're under load, meaning that, if your sling's tying you up for whatever reason, and the sling is already being stretched, releasing the buckle might be a problem. Cobra buckles are ideal for situations where you need a closure that won't open under very harsh conditions, while it's under tension, and releasing can be slow. A quick release has to release easily under bad circumstances. It's basically the opposite of what you're looking for, depending on why you think you need a quick release.

Any other Vickers sling, plus their $12 add on side release (which is strong enough for 99% of the shooting community's general sling use) would cost less. If you wanted something other than side release, their rapid release swivel is an extra $30. Having used a Vickers with a side release attachment for almost 10 years, I'm sure that I don't need the added complexity and cost of a Cobra buckle for this purpose.

I don't know you or the circumstances surrounding your envisioned use of the sling, so this may not apply.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    To be honest, in my opinion, you may have.
    Cobra buckles are designed to not release when they're under load, meaning that, if your sling's tying you up for whatever reason, and the sling is already being stretched, releasing the buckle might be a problem. Cobra buckles are ideal for situations where you need a closure that won't open under very harsh conditions, while it's under tension, and releasing can be slow. A quick release has to release easily under bad circumstances. It's basically the opposite of what you're looking for, depending on why you think you need a quick release.

Any other Vickers sling, plus their $12 add on side release (which is strong enough for 99% of the shooting community's general sling use) would cost less. If you wanted something other than side release, their rapid release swivel is an extra $30. Having used a Vickers with a side release attachment for almost 10 years, I'm sure that I don't need the added complexity and cost of a Cobra buckle for this purpose.

I don't know you or the circumstances surrounding your envisioned use of the sling, so this may not apply.
    Yeah, I think you got my vision and use for the cobra buckle. I am tempted to try it out anyway, but at $100 it is kinda steep if it doesn't perform as now I think it will. I think I am going to cancel. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Don’t remember what I paid for it, but I love my Vickers Cobra sling. When I bought it ~2010, it went on my work gun, replacing a VTAC. Now it lives on my go-to personal rifle. It does what it is supposed to do. I’m gonna go check this sale out....
    It's a legit sale w/ code POTUS.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks to this thread I just ordered a padded 221 w/RED. It’s my first sling

Feedback Score
    Just as a heads up to everyone else. Chameleox is 100% correct. The cobra buckle will not disengage under tension -kind of defeats the purpose of having a "quick release" imo, but who knows. If anyone could school me on this sling's purpose let me know.

Video demonstrating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTegDc6cQBo

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have been making my own quick adjust slings as you can get a 25 yard roll of polyester webbing for pretty cheap. Add some metal or plastic adjustable buckles and if you can't use a sewing machine, use double loop buckles to attach to the rifle. Made several out of 1.5" webbing as the smaller stuff cuts into my shoulders over time. Paracord loops for attachments to rifle. Polyester has better rot resistence, slides on clothing better, and feels like seatbelt straps, can be heated to seal the cut ends.
    Last edited by joedirt199; 02-27-18 at 12:04.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    NEVER use Cobra buckles on a rifle IMO.

Why?

They clang and bang the gun sometimes in usage depending on placement. They will scratch and mar your finish unless you're very careful with them (not a big deal for a beater AR, but likely so for a nice .308 gas gun or bolt action). They're heavy, and completely overkill for the poundage they're being tasked with.

The plastic cobra style buckles would work fine. I'd skip them altogether.