Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75gr Hornady Super Performance info.

Feedback Score

75gr Hornady Super Performance info.

I've read the threads I can find related to this ammunition but I still have questions.

Hornady's website says that this ammunition is safe with Ar's safe with suppressors etc, but they recommend using an adjustable gas block. Prior to knowing all of this I fired 60+ rounds with excellent results on paper, without my dead air attached. Since googling info I've seen stories related to over pressure and kabooms. This obviously has me worried. I emailed Hornady and they told me it was safe but again they recommend a adjustable gas block. So here is my issue, I don't have one don't want one have no desire to change rails etc. My question is, will a Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier deliver the same results as an adjustable gas block? Will it be safe for me to use the suppressor? I bought a bunch of this ammo from a going out of business sale, it groups better than Blackhills 77gr out of this rifle, I'd like to be able to use it.

Thanks for the help.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If it's grouping well, you should have no issue with the can. The adjustable gas block would only keep the bolt speed down for reliable cycling. It may be fine without... depending on your port size.

NONE of these factors impact the possibility of Kaboom. That's a chamber/pressure combination.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did Hornady advise you to check your fired brass, looking to see if the extractor is scraping? Thats what they advised me, IIRC, but that was a few years ago. I do not shoot suppressed, so my inquiry was different, and I wonder if that matters. Over-pressure is over-pressure, or is there a difference, in terms of the potential problems?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input guys. I did not notice any signs of overpressure when I shot it, still not sure I want to risk my can tho. I've got a bunch of this stuff, maybe its a good excuse to get a bolt gun.

Edited to add: Hornady did not mention anything about extractor scraping. Their email was short and basically repeated what is on their website, did not give me the warm and fuzzies.
    Last edited by Pesty0311; 02-24-18 at 03:40.

Feedback Score
    Seems like an awful lot of assumptions being made here on the pressure generated by the Hornady ammunition.

So let me add one more to the mix: It is not likely at all that Hornady's 75 grain Superformance ammunition is loaded over SAMMI specification as to maximum chamber pressure. A second to that is a question to the OP: Are we talking .223 Remington or 5.56 NATO on the box?

So in reality what we are talking about here is the rifles ability to function reliably with the addition of the silencer. Restricting gas flow is just one of the methods of slowing the rifles cyclic rate down.

OP dwell time is affected not an increase in pressure when using a silencer.

The only "danger" to your suppressor would be from misalignment or improper mounting causing a baffle strike. Or if you use the silencer on a barrel that is considered too short be the silencer manufacturer then you run the risk of over pressuring the silencer.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesty0311 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I did not notice any signs of overpressure when I shot it, still not sure I want to risk my can tho. I've got a bunch of this stuff, maybe its a good excuse to get a bolt gun.

Edited to add: Hornady did not mention anything about extractor scraping. Their email was short and basically repeated what is on their website, did not give me the warm and fuzzies.
    I called, not e-mail, and had a nice conversation, they were very helpful.They told me Superformance was GTG in rifle gas systems, and questionable in shorter systems. My rifles are mid-length, and handle Superformance fine, no scraping nor primer signs of over-pressure. Again I dont know how your can may change things. I highly recommend that you call them, since you seem to still have concerns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 308sako View Post
    Seems like an awful lot of assumptions being made here on the pressure generated by the Hornady ammunition.

So let me add one more to the mix: It is not likely at all that Hornady's 75 grain Superformance ammunition is loaded over SAMMI specification as to maximum chamber pressure. A second to that is a question to the OP: Are we talking .223 Remington or 5.56 NATO on the box?

So in reality what we are talking about here is the rifles ability to function reliably with the addition of the silencer. Restricting gas flow is just one of the methods of slowing the rifles cyclic rate down.

OP dwell time is affected not an increase in pressure when using a silencer.

The only "danger" to your suppressor would be from misalignment or improper mounting causing a baffle strike. Or if you use the silencer on a barrel that is considered too short be the silencer manufacturer then you run the risk of over pressuring the silencer.
    Superformance is not loaded over SAAMI specs, but peak pressure curves are different from non-superformance ammo.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The bottom line is there is no risk to your can with the topic ammo than any other premium factory load. The biggest risk to a 5.56 can, in my experience, is junky FMJ ammo/bullets.

I had a baffle strike from XM193 years back before I was into handloading good bullets.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Deleted due to low knowledge base.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-07-18 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Isn't basically all Superformance ammo loaded with slow for caliber powder with an unknown proprietary process allowing more to be crammed into the case?

Disclaimer - greatly simplified and possibly very incorrect, don't try it at home.

Andy
    I don't know anything about how it's made. All I (think) I know is that pressure is higher further down the barrel compared to non-superformance ammo, leading to higher port pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast