Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low-fat or low-carb? It may not matter....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I've tried just about everything and can't loose weight. Low fat, high fat, low carb, high carb, only veggies, only protien, mainly fish, Mediterranean, calorie restrictions, low portions but 6 times a day......etc...you mention it, I've probably tried it. Went to the gym then hired a personal trainer because I didn't feel that on my own I was focused enough. I gained muscle but never lost weight. In my 20s up to my early 30s I was 160lbs and 6ft tall. When I hit 34 back in 2014 I gained about 60lbs in one year with no change in diet. I even know the day it began. When i started with a personal trainer I was about 217 now around 225. This February when I had the flu I was in bed for a week. During the whole week I ate 2 eggs and was barely able to put that down. All I did was drink hot tea. When I felt better after a week I stepped on the scale and was 2lbs heavier than the week before. Have had blood work done and everything came back fine
    Fine is not a lab number. Did you get a copy of the labs? What did they test for?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Fine is not a lab number. Did you get a copy of the labs? What did they test for?
    Don't know. I told the doctor essentially the same thing. I was given a paper with a whole bunch of stuff to test for. It's the paper you give the person drawing blood. Afterwards I came back to the doctor and was told theres nothing wrong.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Don't know. I told the doctor essentially the same thing. I was given a paper with a whole bunch of stuff to test for. It's the paper you give the person drawing blood. Afterwards I came back to the doctor and was told theres nothing wrong.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Always request a copy of your blood work.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I posed intel on that not too long ago. End of the day, no matter how much MMM* people attempt, cals (energy) is what matters.

* = Magical Macro Manipulations
    Eat 2000 calories a day of lean meat and veggies for a month

Stop

Eat 2000 calories a day of donuts for a month

But Muh Magical Macro Manipulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    Eat 2000 calories a day of lean meat and veggies for a month

Stop

Eat 2000 calories a day of donuts for a month

But Muh Magical Macro Manipulations
    May be isocaloric, but macros would be vastly different, hence not equivalent. To prove the point that cals are still the #1 driver of weight loss, a science teacher ate only McDonald's for 6 months and lose 56lbs:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...onalds-2015-10

Others followed and got the same result.

Macros matter, total cals matter more when it comes to weight loss. That's a different issue to issues such as preservation of FFM, health, etc. Weight loss is cal flux, macros, and exercise, in that order.

I always favor a higher % as P when fat loss is the goal, but it's not "magical" per se, and most effects from say keto diets (and example of classic MMM thinking) comes from the reduced cals and higher P intakes, vs "magical" impact in metabolism and such.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    I got pretty fat after getting off active duty. Since December I've lost 45 pounds on the laziest keto diet you can imagine. I do more protein than fat though usually so you can't really say it's keto. Essentially just eating healthy and not eating for fun has been the key. "Diets" seem to normally be marketing for not eating a bag of chips in one sitting.
    Would love to hear more about your diet if you are so inclined.

Thanks.....P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Macros matter, total cals matter more when it comes to weight loss. That's a different issue to issues such as preservation of FFM, health, etc. Weight loss is cal flux, macros, and exercise, in that order.

I always favor a higher % as P when fat loss is the goal, but it's not "magical" per se, and most effects from say keto diets (and example of classic MMM thinking) comes from the reduced cals and higher P intakes, vs "magical" impact in metabolism and such.
    I've got multiple doctors telling me similar. And the takeaway is that it's virtually impossible to exercise your way to lower weight in your late 50s. So a dietary component has to be present and is probably the most critical part. (But exercise is important for other reasons)

As long as you can eat in five minutes more calories than you have burned in 1-1.5 hours of Hard Exercise this will be true.

While managing diet is critical for weight loss, the other thing that people discount is how carbs impact blood sugar, and thus enable coronary artery disease.

High blood sugar has a trifecta of negative effects on your arteries. (Etching of and clinging to the artery walls, then the conversion to fats/triglycerides)

As my cardiologists explained, the triglycerides that cause artery issues for the most part were converted from blood sugar, and were not originally present as fat/triglycerides in the food when you ate it. So the whole low-fat heart healthy diet thing is inaccurate and unhealthy. And is 15 to 20 years behind the research and at least 10 years behind recognize practice by doctors who stay current.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I did the whole Keto thing while working out 5 days on 1 day off for 12 weeks. Went from 11 to 7% body fat according to an app and those stupid calipers. Not sure how accurate it was. Weight stayed the same more or less but I lost fat for sure. The only place it didn't seem to affect is around my belly button. I'm finding it hardest to loose fat there.

I will say the Keto deff worked for me but if everyone in your house isn't doing it with you, it must suck.

If all else fails, there Anavar (Oxandrolone) lol
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    29 (87%)
    I have been doing strict keto (75%fat, 20%protein, 5%carb) since mid June, and I am down 47 lbs. For whatever reason, this diet is very easy for me, and i don't feel like i am "on a diet". Beer and pb&j are the only things I miss.

That being said, I suspect that one of the reasons for my results, is that the large amounts of fat are keeping me full and I am in a caloric deficit without any effort. I feel like I pped the easy button. Taking in between 1700-1900 calories per day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocaster View Post
    I have been doing strict keto (75%fat, 20%protein, 5%carb) since mid June, and I am down 47 lbs. For whatever reason, this diet is very easy for me, and i don't feel like i am "on a diet". Beer and pb&j are the only things I miss.

That being said, I suspect that one of the reasons for my results, is that the large amounts of fat are keeping me full and I am in a caloric deficit without any effort. I feel like I pped the easy button. Taking in between 1700-1900 calories per day.
    If it's working for you and it's easy to follow to boot, drive on I say. Remember however, losing the weight is not the difficult part, keeping it off is the difficult part. I have met a few people in my decades of being in the biz who stayed on such a diet long term and functioned well on them, the other 99% usually stopped the keto/VLCD diet, went back to their "normal" way of eating, and gained the weight back, some times more then they began. Hence, my position is, any diet followed that forces one to go back to their "normal" way of eating, is a loser. One has to follow a way of eating they can follow essentially forever, it ends badly the vast majority of the time.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast